Home Analyst Portal

Embed pictures within a knowledge article

Sean_TerrySean_Terry Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
It looks like pictures from an external source work but embedding them directly into the KA does not? Is this right?

At the moment I have created some in our test environment and had to use the URL from SharePoint to put pictures into KA. It isn't ideal.

Is there another way?

Comments

• merlenette_jonesmerlenette_jones Member Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    S_Terry said:
    It looks like pictures from an external source work but embedding them directly into the KA does not? Is this right?

At the moment I have created some in our test environment and had to use the URL from SharePoint to put pictures into KA. It isn't ideal.

Is there another way?

The Cireson Portal uses an HTML editor control from a 3rd party control vendor.  The control does not accept image content from the clipboard in some situations.  Pasting images from the clipboard does not work in the following situations:

• Pasting in Chrome.  Pasting is only supported in Internet Explorer and Firefox.
    • Pasting from Microsoft Word or other Microsoft Office documents or Outlook email in some cases.  Generally speaking, if you select an image in Office and the image has a dotted line around it, then it will not copy/paste into the HTML editor.  If it has a solid line it will.  If you get a dotted line, try copying it into a Word document first and then copy it again from there.

What I suggest is using a snipping tool to capture the image and then convert that image to base 64. 

Does this answer your question?

Merle

• Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wanted to chime in that IF your organization makes use of Office 365, copying from a Office Online doc (i.e. editing OneNote/Word in your browser) you can copy and paste from there directly into the Cireson KA.
  • Sean_TerrySean_Terry Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I'll give that a try and keep O365 in mind too.
  • Dakota_GreenDakota_Green Member Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Hello,

Might be a bit late to the party, but wanted to chime in anyway. Generally speaking, I use Data URI to transfer images to a KB article. There is no hosting of the image anywhere, thus less bandwidth being used. Cireson previously used image hosting with our KBs, but we're now moving towards Data URI going forward with newer KBs, and then retrofitting existing KBs with the format.

Here's a good online resource to get started; it also generates the code for you to use based on existing images you have on your computer:

http://dopiaza.org/tools/datauri/index.php

Let me know if this helps you out.

• Dakota_GreenDakota_Green Member Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    To further add onto my previous post, we also have a bulb on the Downloads sub-forum with a link on how to convert Word documents over to HTML.

https://community.cireson.com/discussion/49/word-to-html-convertor#latest

• Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason behind the hit and miss here is the control in our portal only accepts either image links to a hosted location or Base64 encoded images.
    If you use an editor that stores it's images as Base64 then as you cut and paste to the KB editor it will paste them in as a Base64 blob.
    I use OneNote to edit my KB articles first, and it pastes as Base64 nicely.

Hope this makes sense and makes finding an editor easier.