Home Analyst Portal

Install V7.4.2012.9 from 5.0.10

Mike_StormsMike_Storms Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
When installing v7.4.2012.9/11 I have some general questions: is it best to stop the app pool/portal/cache builder before doing the install? When you cache builder on one server and portals on 1 or more should you stop cache builder and other portals before you do a portal only install? Lastly when you do a portal only and DB/Cache builder have been installed you get a popup saying the DB s/b installed. I was under the impression the DB was only installed once. Any other notes on doing a install...

Best Answer

Answers

• Mike_StormsMike_Storms Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭

Hi Mike

This good information... Couple more questions:

#1 did you have a back-out plan in-place? If so what was it?

#2 You mentioned separate installs pointing to DB... Do you mean you installed the DB each time you ran the install or just the first time for the first component?

#3 What components did you stop if they weren't being installed on the other instances? App-Pool, Portal, Cache Builder?

#4 Here is my set-up 3 Cireson Portals. One runs just cache builder but we install the portal just disable it. And 2 other servers that run Portal ONLY. My plan is to install the cache builder server first. Stop all app pools/portals/cachebuilder select all options. When it comes up the second time before doing the install stop app pools/portals/cachebuilder. The same process would be followed for the other 2 portals only except I would only install the portal.

Does sound like a good plan? I tried it in a multi environment in QA and it seemed to work... I also plan to disable connectors & DW job schedules so nothing is going on while installing... Full backups of custom code, service manager db & service management db. 

• Michael_AidinovichMichael_Aidinovich Cireson Solution Architect Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Hello Mr. Storms,

In response to #1 following ITIL best practices you should always have a backout plan and will vary based on your environment.  But at the vary least you should have snap shots of you Cireson/SCSM/SQL env before proceeding.

#2 The DB will be upgraded as part of the install and obviously only needed once.

#3 Depends what you have running on those.  I would just stop all the cireson components including the web site and app pool.

#4 Sounds correct, however you know your environment best and glad to hear you've tested the procedure in QA.

Hope that helps,
    Mike