Home Analyst Portal
Options

My Work View on Portal -- Best practices for distinguishing between requests at the Activity level?

RyanLancialRyanLancial Member IT Monkey ✭
edited June 2016 in Analyst Portal
We have had a few users raise up the need to be able to discern between differing requests in the portal that have Activity titles that are identical. Analysts are assigned Activities, but may not necessarily be the 'Assigned User' for the SR/CR or parent activity. I'm curious to find out how others in the community are dealing with this. Some teams have decided to rename the titles of the activities, but this obviously add's manual work and the question then get's asked 'can we automate this'. While there's way's to append an 'Affected Users' display name via Orchestrator to these Activity titles, I'm not sure that's a very 'clean' solution.

I'm curious if there's a way that would avoid us having to write this data down to the 'Title' for these activities. Ideally, the 'My Work' and other data grid views for workitems would be able to reference the absolute parent (accounting for nested PA/SA) of the activity parent's 'Affected User' and have this populated in the 'Affected User' field? I'm on version 3.8 so if the answer is, upgrade, that's perfectly acceptable but I don't remember seeing this in the change logs (not to say I very easily could have missed it)

Never the less, how is everyone else addressing these concerns?

Comments

• Options
    Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally when I'm walking through someone between the difference between both of these views I highlight the dynamic grouping ability that portal has.

The first group I set/show as an example is grabbing the "Icon" property and grouping by it. In doing so, you split all work items by Work Item type. Each group then clearly shows WI breakdown regardless of title.
  • Options
    RyanLancialRyanLancial Member IT Monkey ✭
    Thanks for the reply Adam, but I think I might have missed the mark a bit on the description of my issue. So I've got groups of users, all that regularly receive activities, sometimes for the same SR type (driven by RO's). The issue is that, with multiple Activities, that are of the same SR type, with different people requesting that service, we end up with a 'My Work' view that essentially has grouped activities, all with the same title of 'Perform x action' and without the 'Affected User' of the parent SR available in these views all of these 'Perform x action' look identical from the view itself.

I'm hoping that I'm making sense with my description and welcome any feedback.
  • Options
    Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    OHHH, got it. I 100% Orchestrator/SMA myself out of that and rename the Title of that Activity to have more a bit more context.