Home Asset Management

what is the correct way to delete duplicate items in Asset Management

Catherine_BurtCatherine_Burt Customer IT Monkey ✭
We are trying to clean up our inventory and when we delete duplicate items, they go into the "Deleted Items" section. I then select them all and select to "remove items", but they keep coming back in. What is the correct way to remove these?

Answers

• Catherine_BurtCatherine_Burt Customer IT Monkey ✭
    We are trying to clean up our inventory and when we delete duplicate items, they go into the "Deleted Items" section. I then select them all and select to "remove items", but they keep coming back in. What is the correct way to remove these?
  • Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like one of your connectors (most likely: Active Directory, Config Manager, SCOM) still sees them and is pulling them back in after you delete them.
  • Catherine_BurtCatherine_Burt Customer IT Monkey ✭
    we are removing the incorrect entry but the correct entry is still there, but it will also pull back the incorrect entry back in. How do I fix that? Under the Administration tab and Deleted Items, I'm selecting them and then selecting remove item. Is that correct way of doing it?
  • Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is difficult to agree or disagree without knowing more details.  What object type are you deleting?

Something is deliberately creating the "incorrect" item after it sees that it no longer exists (upon "correctly" deleting it).  You need to pinpoint what that "something" is, in order to solve your problem, I believe.

So what are we talking about here:  Hardware or software?  Something else? 

If it is hardware, my guess would be that your hardware asset workflow is still running against the hardware item (e.g. Windows Computer) and creating it based on the settings you have provided, which is resulting in a new "incorrect" asset being created.  If that is the case, you would want to look at the settings and adjust them such that the asset is no longer created or that it only creates/updates the "correct" asset.

If it is software, my only suggestion would be to look at your Software Assets that might match the undesired object, and look at the filters you have used.  They may be more broad than you intended.

If you are deleting the source object(s) (e.g. Windows Computer, Software Item), then I am quite sure that one of the systems you are connected to, which I listed in my original response (could also include scheduled CSV file import, SCORCH, SMA, too) keeps adding it back because they still see that it exists, and then it gets re-processed by your HW/SW asset workflows.