Home Remote Support (Formerly Control Center)
Options

Hosting Service not starting

I installed version 2.0 of the portal as that was what was provided to me with very little issue. The only thing I ran into was the bug found at https://community.cireson.com/discussion/2789/configmgr-portal-computers-page-not-displaying-any-computers-or-data. I downloaded the latest version from the link provided in the above thread and followed the upgrade instructions from the install guide. 

I am now getting the following error in the hostingService log. 

9/18/2017 2:46:26 PM -> Using settings from 'C:\Inetpub\ConfigMgr Portal\Configuration.xml'
9/18/2017 2:46:26 PM -> Error: Error in 'HostingService.OnStart'
9/18/2017 2:46:26 PM -> Error message: The ConnectionString property has not been initialized.
9/18/2017 2:46:26 PM -> Stack Trace:    at ConfigMgrPortal.Core.DAL.SQLHelper.ExecuteDataset(String cmdText)
   at ConfigMgrPortal.Core.DAL.SQLHelper.ExecuteDataTable(String cmdText)
   at ConfigMgrPortal.Core.DAL.HostingService.GetHostingServices(String sql)
   at ConfigMgrPortal.Core.DAL.HostingService.GetFromServicename(String newServiceName)
   at ConfigMgrPortal.HostingSvc.HostingService.StartUp()

Any ideas on what I can do to fix it?

Thanks for any info.

Best Answer

• Options
    J_MarvesJ_Marves Member IT Monkey ✭
    Answer ✓
    Found that the Portal Service was still at 2.0.0 despite uninstalling, restarting and installing from the 2.1.1 manual install folder. I reinstalled from the msi in the installer folder and it finally installed the latest version which cleared the error. Maybe I mixed up the folders or something weird was going on.

Answers

• Options
    F_ChristiansenF_Christiansen Cireson Dev Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Hi Jason,

We do have a 2.1.1 version of the portal.
    However, the versioning doesn't seems to be the problem.

Does the file C:\Inetpub\ConfigMgr Portal\Configuration.xml exist?

As the installer by default creates the folder C:\Inetpub\ConfigMgrPortal (without the space) that could be the issue and an easy fix:
    In the folder where the hosting service resides, open the file 
    ConfigMgr Portal Hosting Service.exe.config and change the value for BaseFolder.

If that is not the issue, let us know.

Thanks

Best regards
    Flemming Appelon Christiansen
  • Options
    J_MarvesJ_Marves Member IT Monkey ✭
    Answer ✓
    Found that the Portal Service was still at 2.0.0 despite uninstalling, restarting and installing from the 2.1.1 manual install folder. I reinstalled from the msi in the installer folder and it finally installed the latest version which cleared the error. Maybe I mixed up the folders or something weird was going on.
  • Options
    wally_meadwally_mead Member Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Glad you got it figured out. The Manual Install folder does have one for the website as well as one for the service installers. And if you had an older (such as 2.0.0) install still there, could have got the wrong one. Anyway, glad that you are going.