Home Configuration Manager Apps
We appreciate you taking the time to vote and add your suggestions to make our products awesome! Your request will be submitted to the community for review and inclusion into the backlog.

We recommend reviewing what is submitted before posting, in case your idea has already been submitted by another community member. If it has been submitted, vote for that existing feature request (by clicking the up arrow) to increase its opportunity of being added to Cireson solutions.

For more information around feature requests in the Cireson Community click here.

Config Manager Ticker App Feature Request - an alternative screenreader capable output format

I am evaluating the "config manager ticker" app. Equality is an important issue there. The banner of the config manager ticker is an optical info to an healthy user. Is there any way (an alternative screenreader capable output format) for blind users. I have only tested this briefly with an screenreader, but the reader doesn't read the banner text.
2 votes

Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• F_ChristiansenF_Christiansen Cireson Dev Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Hi Daniel,

We have current no support for Narrator or similar screen reader functionality.
    But suppose we could detect if the Narrator is running and out the text in notepad, text in a browser window or such. 
    If you have ideas for this, please contact me.

Best regards
    Flemming Appelon Christiansen
  • Daniel_HoenigDaniel_Hoenig Member IT Monkey ✭
    Hello Flemming,

I would like to thank you for your answer and will discuss this topic with my colleagues.

Best regards D.Hönig
    edited June 2017
    Hi Daniel,

We have current no support for Narrator or similar screen reader functionality.
    But suppose we could detect if the Narrator is running and out the text in notepad, text in a browser window or such. 
    If you have ideas for this, please contact me.

Best regards
    Hello Flemming,

after the holidays I could contact my colleagues, who are contact persons for the topic 'screenreader'. We use 'Jaws' and 'Lunar' (now Supernova) as Narrators/screenreaders.

To the point "Detection":
     * Jaws could be detected at a run key (with the jfw.exe-file) of the registry.
     * Lunar/Supernova could be detected with a running service (exe-file):
       ** Dolphin Starter Service (C:\WINDOWS\system32\dol_start.exe)
       ** Dolphin CBar Service 2 (C:\Windows\system32\dolsrvcbar2.exe)

To the point "Output Format":
     * Both a Notepad window or a browser window (e.g. IE or Edge, possibly configurable) would be great.
     * The browser window was the preferred wish.

It would be nice, if this requirement will find its way into this useful product.

Best regards
    D.Hönig
    Hi Daniel,

We would probably be able to open a browser window if a screen reader is detected by what you propose.
    Would that work? And should a browser window take focus over what is already on the screen? Don't want to interrupt what the user is doing. 
    Hi Daniel,

The next version of the Ticker will partly support the requested functionality.
    You will have to run a script/job that detects the screen reader and set a registry value that the Ticker will check when an announcement is to be displayed.
    If the registry value is true, the announcement text is saved to a temporary html file that then is launched using the default browser.
    The normal ticker banner will still display.

I hope that will work for you.

Best regards
    Sounds great. Mega thanks Flemming