Home Service Manager Asset Management Feature Requests
We appreciate you taking the time to vote and add your suggestions to make our products awesome! Your request will be submitted to the community for review and inclusion into the backlog.

We recommend reviewing what is submitted before posting, in case your idea has already been submitted by another community member. If it has been submitted, vote for that existing feature request (by clicking the up arrow) to increase its opportunity of being added to Cireson solutions.

For more information around feature requests in the Cireson Community click here.

Asset Management, relate Network Devices to Locations

Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
The current mechanism of auto relating computers to locations based on their subnets certainly rocks within SCSM AM. But it would be even cooler if this functionality extended itself to Network Devices in the form of the SCOM MP that is already pulling these.

With SCOM network monitoring (SNMP) a lot of information can be pulled about said devices into SCOM, then once the Networking MP has been deployed to SCSM, those SCOM discoveries float over as SCSM Configuration Items. When it comes to things like routers, switches, phones, cameras, or any other SNMP device within one's organization this would only continue to compliment and further build out the current Asset Management piece of SCSM. As such, Network Devices would auto create, relate, etc. Hardware Assets. Just like Computers to HW Assets/Catalog Items, this same functionality could be extended to Network Devices so that there is one parent Catalog Item (e.g. "Cisco XXXX") with related Hardware Assets discovered by SCOM.
13 votes

Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Ilias_El_TaghadouiniIlias_El_Taghadouini Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Hello,

Any update on this feature request ? We'd love to see this implemented
  • Peter_SettlePeter_Settle Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    I have up voted it, but get the feeling it will require loads more votes.
  • Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I decided to take a pass at this myself through PowerShell and SMlets. While it's only the first version, this script/runbook performs exactly what I originally outlined in the request bringing SNMP discovered devices via SCOM into Cireson Asset Management.
    • Hardware Assets are created from Network Devices (System.NetworkManagement.Node class)
    • Hardware Assets write Manufacturer/Model based on the Vendor/Model from the Network Device
    • Everyone's CAM settings are respected as this verifies if it should be writing Enum or String values for Manufactuer/Model
    • Hardware Assets will link themselves to a Location, based on which CAM Subnet the Network Device's SNMPAgentAddress falls into

Some notes:
    • The Manufacturer/Model matching logic could probably use some improvement, but I think this gets us started in the right direction
    • The HW Asset Name is the sysName of the Network Device. This can easily be altered to another property from the Network Device if you choose via the Create-HWAssetFromNetworkDevice function
    • You'll only need to define an SCSM management server and have SMlets installed where this executes from. So provide a remote host name or "localhost" if you'll be running directly on SCSM infrastructure
    • I'm assuming everyone would want some control over this process so this does not automatically create and relate a Catalog Item. This means you have to create Catalog Items yourself and then the native CAM workflows would takeover in performing the relationship.
    • While only a script, this could easily be converted into an SMA job to ensure this runs on a schedule