Home Asset Management

How to create CIs for devices on stock?

Silas_SulserSilas_Sulser Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Hi folks

We are new to Cireson Asset Management, that's the reason why we have some questions about it.

What is the normal process to create CIs for devices (notebook, pcs, etc) on stock?

It is easy to import all devices if they are already in SCCM, but what do we do with that 100 notebooks etc on stock which are not yet in SCCM?

In which way can Cireson Asset Barcode help us with this process?

Many thanks in advance and best regards

Silas

Best Answer

Answers

• Eric_KrasnerEric_Krasner Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    I would suggest you use a csv file and asset import connector.  If you search the KB articles on support.cireson.com you will find the template file and instructions for Asset Import.
  • Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hey Silas,
    Here's the KB Eric was referring to.  
    https://support.cireson.com/KnowledgeBase/View/55#/
    Also, here's an article for Asset Excel.  It might help as well.
    https://support.cireson.com/KnowledgeBase/View/19#/
    Hope this helps!
  • Silas_SulserSilas_Sulser Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Many thanks to both of you, I will check these guides out!
    One more short question on this topic:
    We've set the serial number as unique key, so is it possible to just import the serial numbers first, without any computer name (because we don't know the computer name at this time, it depends on the deployment)?

I would assume that it matches the computer-object and the pre-imported asset item as soon as the same item appears with the same serialnumber in SCCM, right?

• Eric_KrasnerEric_Krasner Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Using the CSV file and the Cireson Asset Import, you would import them and give them a "staging name" if you like. We used something like Dell-Laptop-1, etc. and the serial number in the correct field.  Upon either receipt of the equipment or deployment, you can rename the asset to match the computer name.