Home Orchestrator

Add Implementer to Manual Activity

Peter_SettlePeter_Settle Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone had ever created a runbook to do this and would like to share their knowledge.

I have an issue with people creating Standard (pre-approved) Change Request records and not entering a value for the implementer into the manual activity. Thus when the CR progresses through the automatic approval stage, the manual activity does not fire off an Approved email to the implementer.

What I would like to do, with help is , insert a runbook into the CR to take the Assigned To from the CR and insert it into the Implementer in the manual activity.

This runbook would be the 1st event in the activity chain.

Is this even possible?

Best Answers

• Peter_SettlePeter_Settle Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Adam_Dzyacky  Thanks for the quick response, I will attempt to work out how to do this tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Am not the best with orchestrator but will give it a go.
    Answer ✓
    Jeff_Lang  That sounds like a brilliant idea and if I had any idea of how to implement it on our system it would be fab. However I don't so looks like I wont be going with your option lol. Our Change Requestors do actually complete the Assigned To field on the CR record, they just don't transfer the info to the Activity.

Answers

Answer ✓
    Adam_Dzyacky  Thanks for the quick response, I will attempt to work out how to do this tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Am not the best with orchestrator but will give it a go.
    Answer ✓
    Jeff_Lang  That sounds like a brilliant idea and if I had any idea of how to implement it on our system it would be fab. However I don't so looks like I wont be going with your option lol. Our Change Requestors do actually complete the Assigned To field on the CR record, they just don't transfer the info to the Activity.
    Adam_Dzyacky  I must be doing something wrong already, can not find Affected User , probably my mis-understanding of what I should be doing .           
  • Marek_LefekMarek_Lefek Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    I have a general question, how do you organize work with request (IR, SR, CR) and activities. 
    When we start with SCSM we have use and work only without Activies and all request were assigneed to proper anlitycs, but quickly we have need do add even one activity to each requests. 

When we work with activity we has a problem with assiging analitycs, couse ServiceDesk has to assing both Request and Activity to the same analitycs. This double work. 

Now we tryto use @Adam_Dzyacky runbook that will copy user to request to all activity related to the request. Is that a proper way? Mayby you have better solution? Eg. assign request to manager of analitycs assigned to Activity?

• Peter_MiklianPeter_Miklian Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

@Peter_Settle here's discussion about how to fill activity implementers on complete: Setting "Activity Implementer" on Completion of Activity You might be interested in it, too.

@Adam_Dzyacky once again gorgeous and elegant Orchestrator solution. One note/question: you say "Get the CR, get the relationship from the CR to an Active Directory User where the Relationship Class is "Affected User", ..." but we know that CR doesn't have the Affected User only Created By by default (there are other discussions about this e.g. here). You probably meant Created By or current Assigned To user to fill into MA implementer field.

@Marek_Lefek I think there's no general rule. Every company is handling SRs + MAs its own way. Use it as it best fits your processes and analysts :)