Home SMA
Options

SMA performance optimisation question - time to start

Leigh_KildayLeigh_Kilday Member Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
We are using SMA, and our runbooks are exclusively PowerShell Scripts. From what I have found, using PowerShell Scripts instead of Workflows is the only suggestion for optimising the time to start.

I'm a bit disappointed by the average time to start for most of our runbooks. Our Production instance has 2 app servers load-balanced and we are not using the WAP at all. The average time to start for some runbooks is anywhere from 1:1 to 8:1 of the execution duration (time to start - time to finish).

I haven't looked into the volume of jobs over time yet, but runbook executions are <100 per day so I doubt it'd be overloaded. SMA servers are 8GB, 2 core @ 2.66GHz and never push their resources very hard.

I can't think of anything unique about the runbooks that start faster on average compared with those that start slower. Almost all create a remote session on the SCSM primary workflow server, and one of them is invoked by a Cireson PowerShell activity, while the others are invoked either by an SCSM workflow or a SMA RB activity. We have Log Verbose set on all runbooks because we are executing so few we aren't concerned about the associated DB growth.

However, I doubt any of that has an effect on the time to start; more likely the execution time.

Does anybody know how to speed this up?

Best Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    The answer for us was to alter the sandbox values. As of this time I haven't been able to inspect the sandboxes to dig deeper, but we dramatically improved our time-to-start by running each runbook in its own sandbox.

There are settings in the Orchestrator.Settings.Config under The values used to configure the Activator which I assume has something to do with the time-to-start, but I've not played around with those values yet.

Answers

• Options
    Matt_MedleyMatt_Medley Member Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Hey Leigh, are these runbook activities referencing any .NET libraries? 
  • Options
    Hi Matt, no not directly. We have built our own module to simplify the scripts in CPAs and SMA runbooks, but they're just over the top of SMLets and the native CMDLets.
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    The answer for us was to alter the sandbox values. As of this time I haven't been able to inspect the sandboxes to dig deeper, but we dramatically improved our time-to-start by running each runbook in its own sandbox.

There are settings in the Orchestrator.Settings.Config under The values used to configure the Activator which I assume has something to do with the time-to-start, but I've not played around with those values yet.