Home Service Manager Portal Feature Requests
We appreciate you taking the time to vote and add your suggestions to make our products awesome! Your request will be submitted to the community for review and inclusion into the backlog.

We recommend reviewing what is submitted before posting, in case your idea has already been submitted by another community member. If it has been submitted, vote for that existing feature request (by clicking the up arrow) to increase its opportunity of being added to Cireson solutions.

For more information around feature requests in the Cireson Community click here.

Set Incident Resolution Description Mandatory

Ben_TeyBen_Tey Partner Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
Wondering if anyone have idea on how to fulfill the customer request.
Before analyst able to resolve the incident, Set Resolution Description as mandatory to avoid analyst leave it blank or just enter .,@&. A minimum character to be input. This sound like input validation which I'm agreed it's good for user experience.
11 votes

Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've toyed with an incredibly similar idea, but I've (personally) always ran into these two fundamental points:
    • If I set a minimum, it may not play nice if an analyst "Cancels" or uses "Fixed by Higher Tier Support" to resolve the Incident
    • If I enforce a minimum (and analysts know it is enforced), an analyst may punch characters at whim just to submit and then of course the field loses it's respective "value"

I highlight the second point more than anything, because I've personally always wanted to solicit genuine input (i.e. not forced) from analysts/end users using SCSM.

That said - I suppose if you got really clever with this, you'd have to change the minimum input for the different type of resolution category but personally, (personally not something I'd ever want to manage). In which case, the best alternative I've come up with (and I'll emphasize it clearly isn't perfect) is reporting on the number of words/average number of words in the Resolution Description on your Incident reports. Then having a Request Offering that fires an SCO runbook that allows analysts to update IRs out of their control (i.e. "Closed") should something really need to get updated. The report then would probably be to the effect of - "For all Incidents of a particular Classification, show me their average resolution description word count." or "For a single analyst, show me their average Resolution Descriptions".

If the help desk manager (or any manager) for that matter is doing reviews with their team on Incidents, this may just play nicely into said meeting. Otherwise, I'd certainly agree with you in advance saying it creates more work (meetings) that previously may have been unnecessary.

Ultimately, this scenario of mine makes it more of a management process and less of one that is controlled by SCSM.
  • Leigh_KildayLeigh_Kilday Member Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭

For those implementations using activities in IRs, the analyst must remember to fill in the resolution details before completing the final activity. This is already the case with other WI types and users often forget to do so. This strips value from resolution emails.

• Ben_TeyBen_Tey Partner Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
    @Adam_Dzyacky do you mind to share the script that you have ? we may enhance it :)
    edited May 2016
    You're presumably making reference to the SQL script/query that I'm talking about?
    referring to the enforcement of minimum user input. I've found the script to change in handler.js instead of custom.js. Anyone can guide me on how to done it in custom.js ?
  • Cindy_BoyerCindy_Boyer Customer IT Monkey ✭

I would like to see this script as well.

Sorry - the only script I have is the aforementioned SQL query to count the number of words in the resolution category as I said the times I've entertained this idea I always ran into reasons I shouldn't do it.
  • Adrian_MataiszAdrian_Mataisz Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

@chris_ross Can we have the code presented in this video?

https://vimeo.com/169913552#t=2980s

@chris_ross Can we have the code presented in this video?

https://vimeo.com/169913552#t=2980s

Yes, on 50:19 was exactly what my customer ask for ! Set the Resolution description as required and set the minimum character for validation. Thank you @Adrian_Mataisz
    @Geoff_RossPlease share your script for the IR custom task - IR Resolve
  • Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Hi all, sorry for delay on this. I'll dig the code out and share tonight.
  • Adrian_MataiszAdrian_Mataisz Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    @Geoff_Ross Thank you. This is great news!
  • Conner_WoodConner_Wood Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    In case anyone is looking for the official thread: https://community.cireson.com/discussion/53/resolved-incident
  • Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Cheers Conner. I meant paste the link into this thread but must have forgotten.