Home Service Manager Portal Feature Requests
We appreciate you taking the time to vote and add your suggestions to make our products awesome! Your request will be submitted to the community for review and inclusion into the backlog.

We recommend reviewing what is submitted before posting, in case your idea has already been submitted by another community member. If it has been submitted, vote for that existing feature request (by clicking the up arrow) to increase its opportunity of being added to Cireson solutions.

For more information around feature requests in the Cireson Community click here.

Notification / Message that someone else is watching the work item

Suleyman_OzdenSuleyman_Ozden Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Being new to Cireson, one feature we are missing that we had in the old system, is getting notified about someone else is looking at the work itemwe have opened.

In relation to that it could be logged in "History" tab that someone has viewed the case, but this part is secondary.

39 votes

Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    So this feature would only work while you had the Work Item open on your screen?
    Or any time someone looked at an Work Item that was assigned to you?

Was the purpose of this to stop multiple people making edits tot he same Work Item at the same time? 
    or more to know who was actively looking at the job?
  • Suleyman_OzdenSuleyman_Ozden Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

It should work while you have the work item opened and purpose is to stop multiple people editing it at the same time.

Is there an issue with multiple people commenting on the same Incident at the same time?
    I know this was an issue with SCSM in the past. If two people had the same IR open and they made ANY change then the first to hit save or apply won and the second got a nasty error message.
    This was fixed in one of the Update Roll-ups so now only if two user edit the same field at the same time does it cause an issue.

If this feature request was to be incorporated in to the product suite, would this feature be available for the console or the web portal or both?
    We had this feature in the ITSM solution we had before. Its a nice feature and we are not asking for it due to any error message.
    OK. Makes sense.

Would you see this feature being available for the console or the web portal or both?

Our analyst are using the portal, so thats where we would like to see it.

I think it is a cool idea.
    You have got my up vote.

Anyone else out there want this feature? Please remember to Up Vote if you want it to be noticed.
    Thanks, lets hope others will want this feature
  • Mathias_VandendriessMathias_Vandendriess Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
    well as some of our analyst also asked for this feature, I will give my vote to this one
  • Dakota_GreenDakota_Green Member Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    You have my vote as well! Would be nice to have some sort of lock to prevent a second person looking at the same work item from updated it.
  • Kevin_BaierKevin_Baier Customer IT Monkey ✭

You have my "vote up" too!

Something like Office Web Apps would be great.

• Martin_BlomgrenMartin_Blomgren Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    This is something our servicedesk is complaining about as well. It actually happens once in a while that two analysts assigns the same WI to themselves and adds a comment.

Imagine the confusion at the end user when receiving multiple notifications but not with the same information (sometimes even contradicting)!

This is a "standard feature" in most servicedesk oriented systems. Please up vote!
    Yeah it is a standard feature. I have to hear a lot about it. I Wonder how it is that it has not got more votes as I imagine all Helpdesks being bothered by this.
  • Peter_SettlePeter_Settle Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Its got my vote, sorry but we don't see issues that require a Vote unless we spot them.

Perhaps as a community we could be informed automatically when a new issues \ suggestion has a vote button.

• Silas_SulserSilas_Sulser Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    A Notification / Message that someone else is watching the work item is one point, but I would enlarge that feature request to watchlist notifications in general (where this case should be included).

I posted this feature request a few months ago: https://community.cireson.com/discussion/2937/watchlist-notifications#latest

I cannot understand why this idea for just one specific case has 28 upvotes, and the general one only 4.
    The benefit for me of a watchlist should be that I'm being informed about ALL events which are going on on a workitem (comment update, status change, etc)...otherwise a watchlist is useless for me more or less, who wants to manually monitor them?

@silas_Sulser unfortunately we can only vote on what we see, new ideas are not emailed to us, we have to fall over them. You now got my vote.

However this one is to show if someone else is editing the item you are looking at (like Office 365).

Very good and useful idea.

• Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Notification / Message that someone else is watching the work item is one point, but I would enlarge that feature request to watchlist notifications in general (where this case should be included).

I posted this feature request a few months ago: https://community.cireson.com/discussion/2937/watchlist-notifications#latest

I cannot understand why this idea for just one specific case has 28 upvotes, and the general one only 4.
    The benefit for me of a watchlist should be that I'm being informed about ALL events which are going on on a workitem (comment update, status change, etc)...otherwise a watchlist is useless for me more or less, who wants to manually monitor them?
    I posted a different FR as another approach to solving this problem, and it also only got 4 votes (https://community.cireson.com/discussion/2966/lock-tickets-to-a-single-user-at-a-time). 

Whichever of these three gets implemented, at least one of them needs to be.  I get plenty of hate mail about two people working the same ticket and one of them losing all of their work, or two people calling the same (now very annoyed) user, for example.

Again, I have worked in more ticket systems that lock the ticket as opposed to notifying of other editors, but this FR would still be preferable to the current editing anarchy and surprise data conflict errors.  I upvoted this months ago, even though my personal preference is to lock the ticket.

At risk of making a very long post about a simple thing, I want to point out that process can somewhat alleviate this, but should not be given as the answer.  Should people stay out of tickets that are assigned to someone else?  In most cases they should, but there are plenty of exception scenarios.  Here is an even more important point, I think--many analysts avoid assigning themselves to the ticket until they are done with all other updates, because of the dreaded Data Conflict errors that occur when something you do causes a workflow to update the ticket while you are still working in it.  Then you have this issue where two people see an unassigned ticket, two people begin working it, and then problems occur for one of them.

If we had something like this in place, it might even be possible for us to turn off the data conflict reconciliation in the admin settings, because analysts would know whether they were about to wipe out someone's updates or not before making their own.  That would solve multiple problems.

@silas_Sulser unfortunately we can only vote on what we see, new ideas are not emailed to us, we have to fall over them. You now got my vote.

However this one is to show if someone else is editing the item you are looking at (like Office 365).

Exactly, this is a Little different.

Tom, however is adressing the same thing with another way to address it and got my vote as well. Hopefully Cireson will help us here, as I imagine it would not be to hard ti implement.

• Silas_SulserSilas_Sulser Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    @Suleyman_Ozden

You're right, I kinda misunderstood your FR, I somehow thought it would have something to do with the watchlist feature what is wrong :)

I still have a question about that usecase, in our environment, analysts assign themselves to workitems, and after assigning to a work item, no other analyst is allowed to work on that specific workitem.

Why do analysts work on items, where somebedy is alredy assigned to?

NP Silas

Trouble is that people dont just assign the work item as the first thing. Even if they did, it seems like some workflow is running when saving and that fact introduces possible conflicts, when another user is amking changes.

• Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.

@Peter_Settle You can edit your notification email preferences here:

https://community.cireson.com/profile/preferences

You can ask for an email every time a new feature request is created per section of this community site.

Geoff
    Geoff_Ross I will take a look, thanks Geoff.

@Peter_Settle You can edit your notification email preferences here:

https://community.cireson.com/profile/preferences

You can ask for an email every time a new feature request is created per section of this community site.

Geoff

@Geoff_ross Hi Geoff can not see the option,

• john_doylejohn_doyle Cireson Support Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    Inspired by this thread, I built a small customisation to try to tackle this issue if anyone is interested: