Home Service Manager Portal Feature Requests
We appreciate you taking the time to vote and add your suggestions to make our products awesome! Your request will be submitted to the community for review and inclusion into the backlog.

We recommend reviewing what is submitted before posting, in case your idea has already been submitted by another community member. If it has been submitted, vote for that existing feature request (by clicking the up arrow) to increase its opportunity of being added to Cireson solutions.

For more information around feature requests in the Cireson Community click here.

Search on extended fields in Service Request

Ray_RascherRay_Rascher Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
We extended our Service Request to contain some additional fields that contain information that we need to search. It would be great if these fields could be added into the drop down menu of the search screen.

59 votes

Completed · Last Updated

We've aligned this with our upcoming Intelligent Global Search app that is on the latest roadmaps.

Comments

• Fredrik_BorchseniusFredrik_Borchsenius Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Incredibly important feature.
  • Jonathan_BolesJonathan_Boles Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone built a custom search page that allows for searching additional fields added to SRs/IRs/Activities?
  • Adrian_PaechAdrian_Paech Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Bump... Please vote for this. Bit surprised this isn't more of an issue for people.

For example, currently, out of the box, we cannot even search for MAs by support group. Yes this is an extended field, however it is already somewhat "built-in" to the product via the Portal group mappings configuration etc.

• Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I could spend 50 votes on one FR and not be able to vote on anything else for 6 months, I would consider using mine here.  Make that a year and I am still thinking about it....

The lack of this feature contributes heavily to the fact that we are turning to SSRS more than the dashboards (10:1). By the time we get a report analyst to write out the SQL to make a meaningful report, it makes sense to spend another hour to draw up the report grid so that we can get subscriptions, use params, etc.

If users could quickly create their own views and we could turn those into dashboards by using the saved searches, it would be a game changer.  Search looks like an amazingly powerful tool until you see that none of the fields you want to search on are available.

To be truly powerful, relationships would need to be part of it (specify a type projection?  define them as part of the search? however it needs to be done...), but extended properties would be a good start.
    I just had another discussion with a very displeased user in our Sr. leadership today, which centered around the shortcomings of Search in the portal.  So....bump.

Ad Hoc search is the portal's biggest weakness right now, when compared with other ITSM products.  It seems like it would take very little effort to turn this into a strength--just include the missing fields from extension classes and type projections. It does not even need to be automatic--let portal admins specify them, if that makes this more feasible to release.
  • Maryellen_PecarMaryellen_Pecar Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Our support groups are setup based on the affected users office location field in AD.  We have created a projection type to include the AD Office field.  It would be great if we could search on this office field.
    Remember when I said above (about 9 months ago...) that I would give up all my votes for a year, to have this?  The offer is still good.
  • john_doylejohn_doyle Cireson Support Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    @Tom_Hendricks the properties and relationships which are currently available on the Work Item Search page are all hard-coded in the file C:\inetpub\CiresonPortal\Scripts\viewPanels\queryBuilder\controller.js
    starting on line 627 with the list of properties common to all work items.

It seems a rather simple exercise to extend the properties and relationships which can be searched by adding definitions to the appropriate sections.

N.B. Modifying this file is not supported, so if searching for an extended property or relationship does not work, or causes performance issues in the portal, you will probably have to roll back to the original version of the file.
    I see how to remove fields from the search, but not how to get the values of extended properties. 

When I add their definitions here, I can get them to show up in the dropdown list but they are not searchable.  That makes sense if the search is looking at dbo.WorkItem, since none of the values I need exist there (again, I am trying to search class extension properties, and that table doesn't store any).

It appears that the search is using /search/GetAdHocResults (around 358) which in turn is reading the dbo.WorkItem table.  My properties and relationships aren't in that table.

On line 366, can I specify a different table, and if so, can it be in a different DB?  Or do I need to create my own from-scratch web service that knows how to utilize the filter criteria for this one?
    @john_doyle, in addition to the question above, I am also interested to know if this could be copied and run from within the CustomSpace folder, perhaps under Views?
  • Conner_WoodConner_Wood Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    Well, Cireson can't say the community didn't try to give them a headstart with SQL that will dynamically get the properties and relationships of a class
  • Mark_BlokMark_Blok Partner IT Monkey ✭
    I see how to remove fields from the search, but not how to get the values of extended properties. 

When I add their definitions here, I can get them to show up in the dropdown list but they are not searchable.  That makes sense if the search is looking at dbo.WorkItem, since none of the values I need exist there (again, I am trying to search class extension properties, and that table doesn't store any).

It appears that the search is using /search/GetAdHocResults (around 358) which in turn is reading the dbo.WorkItem table.  My properties and relationships aren't in that table.

On line 366, can I specify a different table, and if so, can it be in a different DB?  Or do I need to create my own from-scratch web service that knows how to utilize the filter criteria for this one?
    @Tom_Hendricks, did you had any luck getting this to work. I have walked the same path and hit the same wall...
    @Mark_Blok no, the question has never been answered and I have not been able to move forward.  Creating a view and changing the "datatable" param to the name of that view does not work.  That would have solved everything for me.  I'm stuck with the columns that are in dbo.workItem, and have not been able to get any further.
  • Jeff_LandersJeff_Landers Customer IT Monkey ✭
    We too would like to search fields other than title and description, especially our extended fields
    @seth_coussens, will "Intelligent Global Search" on the roadmap for Q2 help with this?
  • seth_coussensseth_coussens Member Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    @Tom_Hendricks
    Yes, I also updated the implementation notes above to indicate this recently. You will be able to choose the columns for a service request that can be searched.
    I assume this will apply to other work items as well?   Specifically incidents for us.
  • Sean_TerrySean_Terry Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Just added Source to the columns in TeamWork and My Work would be nice
    @seth_coussens

I just upgraded to 9.1.0 but the search function seems to be the same.  Am I missing something?

@Jeff_Landers the new search has not been released yet.  Cireson are developing it now.
  • james_kleinschnitzjames_kleinschnitz Cireson Dev, Product Owner Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

The Global Search Feature is now available in both latest and baseline v10 releases. You can read more about it here and this KB.