Home Analyst Portal

Possible to use a custom type projection with Asset Mgt forms in portal?

Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
Custom type projections are an absolute necessity with work item forms, and it is decently well supported.  However, the same does not seem to be true for the Hardware and Software Asset forms--at least not in any obvious way.

Is it possible to achieve this through some other means?  I have requirements to add several object relationships to our Software asset form, and there is no apparent way to do this.  Using enum lists instead would not be acceptable.

Best Answer

Answers

• Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, @Geoff_Ross.  I will gauge the urgency on this one to see if we can wait until v8, but it is great to know that we have another option, even if it is a temporary hack.

Based on the description in the roadmap at least, v8 seems to have quite a few features regarding Config Items that my users are getting impatient for, so I do plan to prioritize testing and an upgrade as soon as it is released.

I do not suppose a release date for v8 is known yet, is it? :)

Generally speaking, (I know it is impossible to anticipate the effects on all customizations, of course), should we expect a lot of changes to the structure of existing page layouts and CSS that could break our custom CSS and/or JS functions that deal with page layout?

To give a point of reference for answering that kind of subjective question, the v5 to v6 upgrade did introduce a lot of layout changes, but the changes were simple to identify and compensate for.  If v7.5 to v8 is on par or simpler (not counting CI pages--nothing has been done there), I would call this a moderate level of changes that can move to testing fairly quickly.
  • Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Hi Tom,

Hopefully you can upgrade ASAP because v8 is bring some really cool stuff. Don't quote me but release could be as soon as next week. Its certainly imminent. As far as the config item stuff, i think that's not in 8.0 but coming in 8.1 or 8.2 along the road.

With regards to effects on customisation, I expect very little. In my lab, nothing was effected (and I have quite a lot of customisation). We've added the export to Excel button on many of the grids, so if you had that customisation, you might have some conflict and My Work has changed a bit to accommodate the new Review stuff but not much else has changed page layout wise.

Geoff
  • Dieter_SaerensDieter_Saerens Partner IT Monkey ✭
    Is it released in the latest version? I made the type projections and relations between locations and the system.user, but it will not pick up the new form I added in Location.Js, after adding it to the map group under admin with the correct id.
  • john_doylejohn_doyle Cireson Support Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    @Dieter_Saerens
    This is a known issue with the current release. The form assignment only works if you are using Forms authentication. On top of that, even if the form assignment works and the users see the custom form, the view model is still built from the default type projections for each asset type so any extra relationships defined in the type projection associated with the named form will not display on the form.
    Editing the default template per @Geoff_Ross's suggestion still seems to work, however.  This will not help you if you have different groups for whom a different type projection needs to load, of course.
    Hi @Tom_Hendricks
    Yes that still works, but only some of the Asset classes read the type projection from the settings so it is limiting. You can create a type projection which covers all of the relationships you need in the various forms you have defined and use that to define a template which you then assign as the default template. The custom forms will then build the view model based on that type projection. As long as all the required relationships are present, the custom forms will all work as they should. So you can use custom forms with added relationships at the moment on a limited number of Asset Management classes as long as you are using forms authentication.

I will try to escalate the process internally to get this working in the product.
    edited December 2017
    Does it work for Locations as well with Form Authentication?
    I don't need different forms, just one that would be used for everything, but you're not able to connect it to the Default one if I am correct?

Second problem in that case is that you cannot use both Windows Authentication and Form Authentication. Are there any work arrounds? It's a requirement for one of our customers. As the team that would manage the locations will only have access to the portal, adding it to the form in SCSM Console isn't an option either.

It would be a lot better if you can just point to the right class in the Location.JS or any other form, with the id now used at the Form Mapping. That way you could load any custom type projection and really start using it.

Can a case be opened on behalf of a customer?
    @Dieter_Saerens

If you want to modify the form for all users then you can copy the Location.js file from the folder C:\inetpub\CiresonPortal\Scripts\forms\templates to C:\intepub\CiresonPortal\CustomSpace and modify the Default form without making any changes to the Group Settings.

The form will work with the default type projection for Location. As long as you do not need to add controls based on relationships not covered by this type projection, you should not have any problems.
    For the record, we do not use forms auth.
    edited December 2017
    @john_doyle ,I know that I can add custom fields that way, as that was how add the normal custom fields. But I need to add two custom type projections. So for now this isn't possible? The customer doesn't use form authentication.