SMP Helper - a cool little troubleshooting tool.

Created by @James_Atance from our Support team, This nifty tool brings the most common logs and queries to a user-friendly page and even zips up logs for sending to support!

Check it out. We also put a quick video together to view/share:
Tagged:

Comments

• Steve_WrightSteve_Wright Cireson Support Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Thanks @James_Atance, this is very, very cool! 
    I'd love to hear feedback from the community on how helpful this is!

Thanks,
    Steve.
  • James_AtanceJames_Atance Cireson Support Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Hey guys, if you download the App can you like it please ;-)
    edited December 2017

SMP Helper v2.0

Whats New:

Introduced a SCSM Tab

• View SCSM core service status's
    • Restart service's
    • Get Management Group Name
    • View Operations Manager Alerting Events (Added to Reporting Build Package)

Introduced a SCSM DW Tab

• View SCSM DW core service status's
    • View DW Job's Status
    • View DW Job Schedules
    • View DW Job Modules

New Workflow Job Info query added to the SQL Queries Tab

Whats Fixed: 

• Fixed issues with Event logs where it pulled back all Entry Types, now only pulls back Errors & Warnings
    • SQL Instance Names now work when used in the setting tab. (Example: SRVSCSMSQL\SCSM)
    edited February 2

SMP Helper v3.0

What's New:

Introduced a License Tab

• View the state of your licenses
    • View expiry date of licenses
    • Added Licenses to the Report (License key need to be populated before building the report)

SCSM DW Tab

• Added Restart DW Data Access Service button

Added colour to the buttons

General code tidy

PS. If you download the App can you please like this comment ;-)

• Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    James_Atance said:

Added colour to the buttons

Love the orange buttons!!!

I wanted to share a screenshot of this app James has provided.  There's some really helpful stuff here.  I encourage anyone who spends any time troubleshooting their portal or Cireson/SCSM environment to give this a try!  
  • Brad_McKennaBrad_McKenna Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
    Anyone receiving this error "windows cannot access the specified device path or file" when attempting to launch? I unblocked the zip file, and verified the file does not show the unblock option. However If I right-click the file after this pop-up is displayed, the unblock option is shown. The issue is once the error message is shown, once you click 'Ok' the file/executable disappears.
    @Brad_McKenna - are you running it on a Portal/SCSM server?  The first thing it does is try to load some SCSM modules.
    Yep, it provides the error message when clicking the executable :( I do not believe the executable is even really being called/launched. 

The only thing I could possibly think of would be an AV interference...hmmm
    Identified as being blocked by AV. ThanTh!!

SMP Helper v4.0

What's New:

HTML SCSM Discovery Report, which is a handy report that will collect info around your SCSM environment:

• Server Specs
    • Channels
    • Subscriptions
    • Templates
    • Queues
    • RO's/SO's
    • Etc…

SCSMDW Tab

• Added the ability to Restart Management Config Service.
    • Added the ability to view the SCSMDW OpsMgr Event Log for Errors  & Warnings.

SQL Tab

• Renamed to SQL
    • Added the ability to view the SQL Application Event Log for Errors & Warnings.

Settings Tab

• Removed the option for setting your SQL Server & SQLDW Server as these are now auto detected.

Fixes:

Corrected a visual bug that effected all tabs, when expanding all the window and the buttons/fields also moved, now only the result grind expands.

PS. If you download the App can you please like this comment ;-)

• Steve_WrightSteve_Wright Cireson Support Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    @James_Atance Thanks for an awesome review of the tool in the FTF webinar today! Very helpful.
    If anyone has comments or feedback for our team please let us know.
    Thanks,

• Raul_NoaRaul_Noa Customer IT Monkey ✭
    I'm having issues running the tool, I get the error below and a prompt to run the app with admin rights.

===================================================================================

Get-ItemProperty : Cannot find path 'HKLM:\software\microsoft\System Center\2010\Common\Database' because it does not
    exist.
    At C:\Users\cd9441\AppData\Local\Temp\AA0D.tmp\AA0E.ps1:33 char:15
    + ... QLSERVER = (Get-ItemProperty 'hklm:/software/microsoft/System Center/ ...
    +                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (HKLM:\software\...Common\Database:String) [Get-ItemProperty], ItemNotFo
       undException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetItemPropertyCommand

Add-Type : Cannot bind parameter 'Path' to the target. Exception setting "Path": "Cannot find path 'C:\Program
    Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\Service Manager\LicenseManagement.Client.dll' because it does not exist."
    At C:\Users\cd9441\AppData\Local\Temp\AA0D.tmp\AA0E.ps1:1457 char:16
    + Add-Type -Path $SMDIR'\LicenseManagement.Client.dll'
    +                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : WriteError: (:) [Add-Type], ParameterBindingException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterBindingFailed,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.AddTypeCommand

• Raul_NoaRaul_Noa Customer IT Monkey ✭
    I'm guessing you have to run it directly on the management server like with v1. Any plans to make a version you can run from the local machine?
    Hi Raul,

Correct, you need to run this from a Management Server.
    I will look into if it will be possible to run from a local device in a future release, just need to see how I can get all the auto discovery and scripts to work remotely etc.

Cheers
  • Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    @James_Atance, this is the only reason that my staff are not able to use the tool, yet.  This is a great tool that I would love to share out, but I do not want people remoting into the servers just to use it.  I completely understand why it works the way it does, but running from a client PC seems like the next level to me and possibly some other Cireson customers.

It has been great watching all the improvements get added, in either case!
    Thanks for the feedback Tom, I will see what I can do for the next version :-)