Home Advanced Request Offering

Insert Displayed User Properties

Alex_MarshAlex_Marsh Premier Partner Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
Currently if I get a user to select a user object from the CMDB I can present them with details such as the phone number, department etc. however these cannot be mapped into an advanced request offering field currently.
Would it be possible using some customjs to capture the phone number displayed for a single selected user and insert it into a hidden question field? I guess I'm after a method of interrogating the grid view for a selected configuration item and extracting the properties.
Hope that makes sense!

Answers

• Tony_CollettTony_Collett Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    While what you are suggesting may be possible I don't know how it may be done. However you could definitely do that kind of thing post-submission by using a Runbook or Orchestrating Powershell to grab the user information and then insert it into the required fields after the work item has been submitted. 
  • Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Hi Alex,

Can you confirm where you wan the phone number to go?

Geoff
  • Alex_MarshAlex_Marsh Premier Partner Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    I'd like the phone number to go into a text prompt withing the RO form. I know we can select the user and shoehorn it into the request using Orchestrator, which I'd like to avoid due to the delay, where as if we can select a user from a query object, extract their phone number and map it to a field in the RO we can then have that information instantly. Hope that makes sense!
    (you're on fire this morning @Geoff_Ross)!
    So...
    Prompt 1: Pick a User
    Prompt 2: Phone number

But prompt 2 will auto fill based on the user picked in Prompt 1? And has some crazy criteria on it so it will never actually show and the whole point of this is so you can then map Prompt 2 to a SR / IR property?

Might be possible but I can think of better ways.

If runbooks are too slow, you can check out PowerShell activity, these usually fire within 5 seconds or so.
    Else, what about some code on the Work Item form that just pulls the user phone number from the related CI and populates. Easy in the Portal if you are lucky enough to be building a Portal only environment.

Geoff
  • Alex_MarshAlex_Marsh Premier Partner Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Pretty much! I was more interested in the possibility of it more than anything. One less things for end users to type in wrong! Not a bad idea with the form field as could only have that field display if generated from certain templates.
    I seem to be going through a bit of a 'What else can I do in the portal with js phase'. Next one is seeing if I can prepopulate the query object filter (or hide the filter completely and use a text box, whatever is easier!)
    Awesome, yes, the less users type the better!!!
    OK, so my conclusion is this: Its maybe possible but its definitely not simple.
    I might fine time to have a play one day soon and will post here.
    Good luck with the phase - I hope its not just a phase but a new lifestyle!
  • Marek_LefekMarek_Lefek Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I miss this funcionality also. Now I have to make Runbook that update descriptions but as @Geoff_Ross
     wrote it works slowly.
    The properties are even displaing for user on the offering but thay cant be mapped.