Home Asset Management
Options

True Software Asset Management

Mikhail_ScherbakovMikhail_Scherbakov Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭

Does anyone have any details about how this feature works? From the official information on the site, almost nothing to disassemble. As I understand it, this is a separate system, which has nothing to do with the normal management of assets. What's the point? Will these two systems somehow interact?

Best Answer

• Options
    Michael_AidinovichMichael_Aidinovich Cireson Solution Architect Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi All,

Lots of questions asked in this thread and I’ll try my best to answer them.  To Mikhail’s question regarding details on features – At a high level True Software Asset Management (TSAM) is a solution that provides your MS Licensing Position and a window to manage MS Licensing cost.  When I say MS Licensing position it goes beyond just how many installs compared to licenses owned.  It accounts for the complicated MS Licensing rules for each individual MS product including MS Volume Licensing(VL) downgrade rights, upgrade rights for licenses purchased with Software Assurance, SQL Core Licensing, Virtualized OS/SQL calculations, etc.…  This is achieved by our Global Content Library and Calculation Engine.  I can keep going on but want to keep this high level.  If you want to know more on the TSAM features from a technical perspective we do have the upcoming Webinar, hope to see you there (Register HERE), if you like we can schedule a 1 on 1 discussion – Let me know on that.  Also, the TSAM documentation will be available next week, if not sooner.

Regarding separate systems, the short answer is Yes, they are separate systems but can be integrated (More on the integration later in the response).  TSAM could not be built in Service Manager due to scalability and flexibility constraints with Microsoft's underlying technology.  We wanted to address many customers pain point for calculating MS Licensing position including the complicated MS Licensing rules.  Therefore, TSAM was built on the Cireson Platform, enabling us to architect an advance calculation engine for processing complex licensing data.

While there is no direct integration in TSAM Release 1.0, both solutions do allow for importing CSV files, so it's possible to import data from one solution to the other, if you choose to do so. However, I recommend using True SAM to track Microsoft licensing, and CAM to track all hardware and non-Microsoft licensing.  If you require further integration the Cireson Services Team can work with you to implement integrations tailored to your specific needs, such as: 

·        ITSM Integration for Service Catalog

·        ITSM Integration for automation of reclaimed licenses

·        ITSM integration for alert & threshold workflows

If you have other integration requirements, let us know.

TSAM does provide OOB connectors to capture required data for calculating accurate MS Licensing position data.  We do this by providing pre-mapped connectors for Configuration Manager, Active Directory, Office365 and Microsoft Licensing data.  When I say Microsoft licensing data I’m talking the whole shabam.  We capture this via your Microsoft Licensing Statement (MLS) which contains every VL MS product purchased, qty, date of purchase, agreement type, MS part#, etc….  As mentioned TSAM does have a CSV connector as well, that’s self-explanatory.

Hope that answers your questions and concerns.

Thanks,

Mike

Answers

• Options
    Marek_LefekMarek_Lefek Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Check this for the beginning http://cireson.com/true-software-asset-management/. There is also demo lab.

• Options
    Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    As far as I know, it's a wholly separate product with no (SCSM) integrations out of the gate. It's conceivable said integrations could happen but doesn't appear so to be the case in a v1.
  • Options
    Brian_WiestBrian_Wiest Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reading the site it looks like it does have a connection to SCCM to get your install counts and hardware assets. In other talks appears to call into Cireson to get the license catalog. (I worry about that one as I am air gaped) Hopefully the webinar next week will show more.
  • Options
    Mikhail_ScherbakovMikhail_Scherbakov Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
    Let's imagine the situation. You already have Cireson asset management, which includes license management. Now Cireson add another SEPARATE product that will manage MICROSOFT licenses. What is the logic in this? I understand that now it will be easier to manage licenses thanks for the online catalog, but why this catalog could not be screwed as an add-on to an existing product? It turns out that now we will be forced to create a second license management point.
  • Options
    Marek_LefekMarek_Lefek Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    There is a demo, but not work for me. Have to be patient:)
    I agree @Mikhail_Scherbakov that separate product is not the best solution for users that have SM and CM portal. But for child life of product is better solution. Cireson have lot of apps that are or were as separated  product from the beginnig but later was connected (eg. Notify analyst).
  • Options
    Michael_AidinovichMichael_Aidinovich Cireson Solution Architect Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi All,

Lots of questions asked in this thread and I’ll try my best to answer them.  To Mikhail’s question regarding details on features – At a high level True Software Asset Management (TSAM) is a solution that provides your MS Licensing Position and a window to manage MS Licensing cost.  When I say MS Licensing position it goes beyond just how many installs compared to licenses owned.  It accounts for the complicated MS Licensing rules for each individual MS product including MS Volume Licensing(VL) downgrade rights, upgrade rights for licenses purchased with Software Assurance, SQL Core Licensing, Virtualized OS/SQL calculations, etc.…  This is achieved by our Global Content Library and Calculation Engine.  I can keep going on but want to keep this high level.  If you want to know more on the TSAM features from a technical perspective we do have the upcoming Webinar, hope to see you there (Register HERE), if you like we can schedule a 1 on 1 discussion – Let me know on that.  Also, the TSAM documentation will be available next week, if not sooner.

Regarding separate systems, the short answer is Yes, they are separate systems but can be integrated (More on the integration later in the response).  TSAM could not be built in Service Manager due to scalability and flexibility constraints with Microsoft's underlying technology.  We wanted to address many customers pain point for calculating MS Licensing position including the complicated MS Licensing rules.  Therefore, TSAM was built on the Cireson Platform, enabling us to architect an advance calculation engine for processing complex licensing data.

While there is no direct integration in TSAM Release 1.0, both solutions do allow for importing CSV files, so it's possible to import data from one solution to the other, if you choose to do so. However, I recommend using True SAM to track Microsoft licensing, and CAM to track all hardware and non-Microsoft licensing.  If you require further integration the Cireson Services Team can work with you to implement integrations tailored to your specific needs, such as: 

·        ITSM Integration for Service Catalog

·        ITSM Integration for automation of reclaimed licenses

·        ITSM integration for alert & threshold workflows

If you have other integration requirements, let us know.

TSAM does provide OOB connectors to capture required data for calculating accurate MS Licensing position data.  We do this by providing pre-mapped connectors for Configuration Manager, Active Directory, Office365 and Microsoft Licensing data.  When I say Microsoft licensing data I’m talking the whole shabam.  We capture this via your Microsoft Licensing Statement (MLS) which contains every VL MS product purchased, qty, date of purchase, agreement type, MS part#, etc….  As mentioned TSAM does have a CSV connector as well, that’s self-explanatory.

Hope that answers your questions and concerns.

Thanks,

Mike