Home Outlook Console

how customize/transform Outlook console MSI for silent installation?

Silas_SulserSilas_Sulser Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
We have about 30 analysts who work with Outlook console app.
The problem that we have is, that we always need to manually type in our Management Server and check "when creating a work item from an email, attach the entire mail", after installation.

The biggest problem I have, is that some analysts forget to check "when creating a work item from an email, attach the entire mail", what generates a lot of work items without email as attachement, what can be really bad.

My question: Is there any way to customize the MSI installer file with Orca to automatically pre-set these 2 options?
I've already opened the MSI in Orca and there are a lot of porperties but no ones like Im looking for.

How do you silently install Outlook console app?

Thanks and best regards
Silas

Answers

• john_doylejohn_doyle Cireson Support Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Silas_Sulser   

I don't think you are going to be able to set that property to default as true by specifying it as a property in the MSI. It seems that the value is read from the registry under the key: HKCU\Software\Cireson\SCSM Outlook Addin; value: CreateFromEmailAttach

Perhaps you could add a login script to set this value?
  • Silas_SulserSilas_Sulser Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Hi @john_doyle, thanks for your reply!
    I've been thinking a lot about this case, and I'm gonna try to build a SCCM-Deployment with a user AND a device deployment.

What I have in mind is to import that MSI as application but don't do any deployment on it.
    Next I'm gonna create a User Deplyoment with a powershellscript which creates these two values:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cireson\SCSM Outlook Addin]
    "Server"="duessm01"
    "CreateFromEmailAttach"=dword:00000001

After that I will set the MSI application as dependent application, which will be installed automatically before.

I will let you know if my idea works or not. Maybe somebody else can use it in the future.
    Many thanks for your help indeed!

Best regards
    Silas
  • Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Silas_Sulser - Have you worked out this SCCM deployment for Outlook Console yet?  I certainly like the idea of pre-populating settings! :)