Home Analytics

Analytics instead of DW

Magnus_Lundgren1Magnus_Lundgren1 Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
Hi

as most of us that worked for awhile with SM know the DW is a bitch. 
Second time for me now that the ETL jobs failed and i get cant get then running again. Ive tried all the ”reset ETL scripts there is. 
So now im left with reinstall DW and loose all my history. Ofc i can save the database and run reports against it. 

But my question is.... Do i need the DW or cab i just run Analytics. Last time the DW jobs ran was in November 2017 and no one has even realised it until now. 
Ive already created a bunch of dashboard pages with all the statistics needed. 
The only time anyone needs the DW is to check old incidents for resolution description etc. 
what would i loose if i just run Analytics?

Best Answer

Answers

• Konstantin_Slavin-BoKonstantin_Slavin-Bo Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed with @Leigh_Kilday - it depends on how fine grained you need your data to be. If your Analytics dashboards gives you enough data for your reporting needs, then you don't need the DW for anything else than looking up groomed WIs. The DW of course contains basically all the data you would ever need, and Analytics is a lot more simple then that. But if it's enough, then it's enough. You don't loose any functionality or anything else than all the "extra" data.
  • Brian_WiestBrian_Wiest Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Magnus_Lundgren1 MS updated there DW troubleshooting guide last year. So far it has fixed all issues I have run into 
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/37780.scsm-datawarehouse-jobs-failing.aspx