Home General Discussion

Watch List feature for End Users

Julie_JohnsonJulie_Johnson Customer IT Monkey ✭
Does anyone have any screen shots or steps of how an end user would select to "WATCH" an item in the console?  We are planning to upgrade from v6 to v7 and do not have a test environment so i'm trying to understand what this feature will look like to the end/average user vs. an analyst.

Answers

• Adrian_MataiszAdrian_Mataisz Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    I'm also interested. Thank you
  • Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll put together a quick video on this so you can see how this works.
    In short, this is NOT a feature for end users to add their names to after the fact, but rather only at the time they request the item.
    Analysts can add to it at will.
  • Julie_JohnsonJulie_Johnson Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Thanks @Brett_Moffett.  I'd also like a better understanding for Analyst.  In reviewing the cireson documentation it looks like you have to dig deep into the actual item and add you name.  I am trying to understand if this is as easy as Jira is for watching an Item - i.e., click - Watch This Item?  
    Hope this helps
    Thank You Brett!
    @Brett_Moffett Do the users added to the Watchlist  get an email  when the item is created or closet/resolved?

Are they going to see the item in their Watchlist? Can they remove it from their list?
    Unfortunately in the current version of the Advanced Request Offering there is no notification hook that can be used to include Watchlist members in close/resolved e-mails.

Member of a Watchlist will see the Work Item in their lists but will not be able to remove themselves from the list. Likewise, they can not modify an existing work Item to add themselves to the Watchlist if they are not the owner.

I hope this answers your question
  • Julie_JohnsonJulie_Johnson Customer IT Monkey ✭
    @Brett_Moffett Thanks Brett for the video.  So the only way to Watch an item is if a advanced request offering is created with this functionality?  Does this mean EVERY current advanced offering we have would need to be edited?  This functionality seems cumbersome if this is the way it works.  Is there thought of creating this functionality just from the Active Work screen - i.e., an analyst role seems an issue/request that they want notifications on and they can just select "Add to Watch List?"    If you actually have to open up each issue/request and go to the tab you mentioned in your video I don't see analyst or end users doing that.
    The Advanced Request Offerings are only used to add people to the Watch List at request time.
    Once the work item is created the watch list can then be edited from within the portal just by viewing the work item. So no need to re-build all your RO's at this time.

At the moment there is no plans that I am aware of to change the functionality on the way the work items add or remove watch list items within the Analyst portal.
    However, if there is specific functionality that you would like to request, please feel free to raise a Feature Request here on the community site and if enough people vote the feature up as being important, then it will get the attention of the Dev team.

Hope this answers your question.
  • Jason_MeyerJason_Meyer Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    So we are now using the "Watch List" and gaining some value from it.   Question, how do we remove CLOSED work items from our Watch List?
  • Rob_SimonRob_Simon Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
    Can the watch list query be customized to only select a subset of users within an AD tree?
  • Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob_Simon said:
    Can the watch list query be customized to only select a subset of users within an AD tree?
    Sounds like a good Feature Request!
  • Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Carol_LeeCarol_Lee Customer IT Monkey ✭
    What is the usefulness of Watch List?  In the Portal, under Search, there is also something called "Watch List Query", and I am not sure what it is about.  Please advise.
  • Jeff_LangJeff_Lang Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    @Carol_Lee The watch list is useful for customers other than the affected user to be able to keep an eye on specific workitems.

The Watch List menu item will list all items you currently have a watch set on, this is done via a Cireson Analytics Table Widget query.

The Watch List Query that by default shows under search, by default shows the same items, but is done via a search query not an analytics query. if you click edit on this window you can add extra search criteria to limit down what watch items display, which can be useful if you have a large number of items on your watch list
  • Carol_LeeCarol_Lee Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Hi @Jeff_Lang, so that means stakeholders, people do not need to take action on the work items but need to be aware of their existence, can be added the "watchlist", and they will be view the SR in the Portal?  If so, which section of the Portal should they go to view them, the Watch List Query under Search?  Most of the people at my Company have access to the Portal, not the console.  Please advise.
  • Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    @Carol_Lee
    There should be a whole WatchList node in navigation settings. It might not be set to Visible in your Portal. that is where the stakeholders can go.

Geoff
  • Peter_MiklianPeter_Miklian Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Hope this helps

@Bett_Moffett: nice video. Maybe you could update it for the point of view of the user who is on the watch list.

So users thinking of implementing this feature could see its benefit. Thanks.

• Joakim_NormannJoakim_Normann Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭

We have a request form that has a runbook attached to it which switches the affected user from the one that created the request to the one that is affected user. Would the user that created the request still be able to to view it in the watchlist? The End-user role don't have access to any queues.