Home Service Manager Portal Feature Requests
We appreciate you taking the time to vote and add your suggestions to make our products awesome! Your request will be submitted to the community for review and inclusion into the backlog.

We recommend reviewing what is submitted before posting, in case your idea has already been submitted by another community member. If it has been submitted, vote for that existing feature request (by clicking the up arrow) to increase its opportunity of being added to Cireson solutions.

For more information around feature requests in the Cireson Community click here.

WYSIWYG Editor for Description under Incidents

We need an WYSIWYG-Editor for Description under Incidents (="Word-Like").
File-attachments are to complicated and to "old-school" for our user.

3 votes

Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can do this yourself by changing the control from string to Editor, but there are drawbacks, particularly for this field.  The text is wrapped with html tags (e.g.: <strong>bold text I wrote</strong>) which uses up some of the character limit.

Also, I have noticed a bit of a performance hit from this because the editor loads a number of "helper" files to set itself up.  On an end user form that does not have many controls, this might be inconsequential, however.

Having said all of this, I have done this with some of our forms, because the benefit was worth it.
  • Thomas_HesseThomas_Hesse Customer IT Monkey ✭
    You can do this yourself by changing the control from string to Editor, but there are drawbacks, particularly for this field.  The text is wrapped with html tags (e.g.: <strong>bold text I wrote</strong>) which uses up some of the character limit.

Also, I have noticed a bit of a performance hit from this because the editor loads a number of "helper" files to set itself up.  On an end user form that does not have many controls, this might be inconsequential, however.

Having said all of this, I have done this with some of our forms, because the benefit was worth it.
    i would like to try. How can i change the control to editor?

Start with this KB article: https://support.cireson.com/KnowledgeBase/View/51.  This broadly describes how to make changes to any ticket form (or assets, etc.).  This KB article focuses on adding new fields, but you can also modify existing ones, and this helps you to know what you are looking at before you make changes.

Let's say you want to change the description field for an incident ticket (essentially the same for any other type).  After you have copied the Incident.js file to your CustomSpace folder and opened it for editing, you will want to scroll down to the description field (be aware of whether you are editing the one for analysts or end users).  It will look something like this:

{ DataType: <b>"LongString"</b>, PropertyDisplayName: "Description", PropertyName: "Description", MinLength: 0, MaxLength: 4000 }

The way that you know this is the correct field is by its PropertyName, which in this case is "Description."

I have put the attribute that you need to change in bold text.  Replace "LongString" with "Editor".

Keep in mind that your Description fields will now contain HTML.  It will render just fine on the Cireson portal, assuming that this will be an Editor control for all users.  It will not look right in the console (not a concern for me, since the console is prohibited for use with tickets) and the appearance may vary in SSRS reports.  Consider whether this is a problem for you, or if the benefits outweigh this in your case.
    Hi Tom.

Thank you for your fast help and good description. The included HTML tags should not be a problem for us. We only use the portal and not the SCSM console for ticketing. After customizing, we will test this before productive operation.

But i have a problem, i hope you can help me. The adjastment of the DataType in the Incident.js file works, but not for our Incident Request Offering.

We do not create the Incident Work Items via the "+" button (bottom ribbon of the portal; = URL: ".../Incident/New/"). Instead, the implementing service provider has placed a Request Offering (= URL: ".../ ServiceCatalog / RequestOffering / ...") on the main page. How can I customize the properties of this RequestOffering?

This is an important distinction.  I interpreted your feature request to mean the Incident form, and not a Request Offering that generates an Incident in the background.

I am not aware of any such thing for the Request Offering forms.  Perhaps someone else has an idea on how to accomplish it?  Looking at you, @john_doyle and @Jeff_Lang :)

If you are still able to edit, I would recommend making that clearer in the request.  This is a really good feature request for the request offering forms.
    I noticed afterwards that it is a request offering (which generates an incident in the background).
    Unfortunately I can't edit the first post/request.

In this context, I have just found a additional issue:
    With the editor embedded images (copy & paste) are encoded as Base64. Which are also displayed in the portal. However, we will send an e-mail to a new ticket to the relevant support group. Unfortunately, the images are not displayed in this e-mail. Instead, only one placeholder (broken image) appears.
    How can these pictures displayed in emails?
  • Roland_KindRoland_Kind Partner Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Hi,

maybe the following link will help you - it can be a starting point - the idea of this is, to replace the text field of the RO with an Editor box - (in this case to handle the pasted Images - which are not supported out-of-the-box)

https://community.cireson.com/discussion/3570/request-offerings-and-pasting-images-possible-solution#latest

regards