Home Analyst Portal

Using Send Mail in Work Items

Sandy_WoodSandy_Wood Customer IT Monkey ✭

I want to expand our staff usage of Send Email in their Work Items to allow more communication with affected users. Right now our Email setting is basic; mail gets sent but users cannot respond back to the default send address we have, ciresonportal@ourdomain.com.

What is the best practice for tweaking this to utilize it the most? I ran across this KB ( https://support.cireson.com/KnowledgeBase/View/4#/ ) that looks pretty interesting to extend email functionality.

Best Answer

Answers

• Nicholas_VelichNicholas_Velich Cireson Consultant Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    The Advanced Send Email app allows you to send emails to End Users, and the Portal has a task per Work Item that has similar functionality. These both handle outbound email only (Analyst to End User).

In order for users to respond to the those outbound emails, an Exchange Connector should be setup for the "ciresonportal@ourdomain.com" inbox. The Exchange Connector monitors an inbox for inbound email, and updates the corresponding Work Item in Service Manager with details of the reply.
  • Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with everything @Nicholas_Velich is saying, but I wanted to add a plug for @Adam_Dzyacky's Exchange Connector.
  • Sandy_WoodSandy_Wood Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Thanks for the answer back on my question. I found that we had been using another send address in SCSM that was working for email. In addition, I installed the Notify Analyst app that we needed for alerts that a user has responded to our mail and content is in the Action Log.
    Great to hear! The Notify Analyst app is another great way to send outbound email for those work item assignment use cases.
    edited April 2018

On a side note, I was mucking around in SCSM and decided to check my Exchange Connector to look at its properties. I'm getting the error below. Checking the web, it seems some have just reinstalled the Exchange EWS service and rebooted. Another person had this error with Cireson installed like myself. Could I do any harm to my Analyst Portal installation if I reinstall the Exchange bits?

Date: 4/16/2018 7:55:48 AM
    Application: System Center Service Manager
    Application Version: 7.5.3079.607
    Severity: Error

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    File name: 'Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.UI.SdkDataAccess.ConsoleTaskHandler.DoTask(IList`1 navigationNodes, NavigationModelNodeTask task, List`1 parameterList)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.UI.SdkDataAccess.ConsoleTaskHandler.DoTask(IList`1 navigationNodes, NavigationModelNodeTask task)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ConsoleFramework.WindowJobRecord.ExecuteBackgroundJob(Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs eventargs)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.UI.Console.ConsoleJobExceptionHandler.ExecuteJob(IComponent component, EventHandler`1 job, Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs args)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
    To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
    Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
    To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Forget my last post - found that you can't view the connector properties from your desktop SCSM console. Gotta be on the server itself.
    Good point! :smile: