Home General Discussion

More of a "Service Desk" or "Help Desk" question. Password Reset Tools?

Jason_MeyerJason_Meyer Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
What tools are organizations using to 'automate' password resets?

Is it possible to connect Service Manager / Cireson Analyst Portal to things like Microsoft Active Directory, IBM z/OS, IBM i/OS and automate password resets?   We have a lot of platforms that have self-service functionality, but not all of them do. 

Has anyone built a request offering that has Orchestrator connected in the backend resetting passwords for multiple platforms?

Answers

• Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've certainly spent my fair share of time creating in this space.

The bulk of the work for automating backend systems is a lot of time spent around analysis of how to interact with said system. My personal order of operations being something along the lines of:
    1. Does it have a PowerShell module? Then System Center SMA
    2. Does it have an .NET SDK? May have to invent a PowerShell module from scratch to use in SMA
    3. Does it have a Rest API? May be able to get away with PowerShell's Invoke-RestMethod and again turning to SMA
    4. Is it a legacy system with no "in" outside of simulating mouse clicks and keystrokes? Then you should turn to Kelverion's Windows Automation IP for Orchestrator

Ultimately it's less about how Service Manager does it and more about how can you get Orchestrator or SMA to perform these jobs. PowerShell being first and Kelverion's solution being the "last line of automation."
  • Jason_MeyerJason_Meyer Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Thanks Adam!  (heading to our developers)   :):)