Home Analyst Portal

Scheduled 'resolution' or 'completion'?

Jason_MeyerJason_Meyer Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
Has anyone ever looked at creating a button that would schedule the resolution or completion of a work item?

Answers

• Nicholas_VelichNicholas_Velich Cireson Consultant Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Jason,

Although I have not done that exactly in the past, here is how I would approach it:

1. The button on the Work Item would only set a date/time field. It would be best for this to be a custom date/time field, perhaps named "Auto Close Date." In fact, if it was a custom date/time field, it could just be a date-time-picker field-- no code required here.
    2. Create a workflow (my preference being a scheduled PowerShell script in Orchestrator) to check daily for items that are (a) still open and (b) have an "Auto Close Date" that is current or in the past. When those items are found, set the status to Resolved/Completed, and set the resolution category to whatever you like.

Thanks,
    Nick
  • Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think @Nicholas_Velich is spot on here!  Extend the incident(or SR) class to contain this field, then add a workflow to come behind and pick those Work Items up that have this date set to a time/date in the past or at some specified interval(for example now - 5 days).  It should be pretty straight forward.
  • Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Hi @Jason_Meyer
    Very interesting question. I can't help but ask... why? Very intrigued.
    Geoff
  • Peter_SettlePeter_Settle Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

I too am bemused by the question. Can not understand why you would want the system to schedule the completion of a work item.

We use the auto close function which closes items after a set period when the item has been Resolved\Completed. But I can not imagine getting the system to auto complete item, what if they have not been resolved?

Am very interested in the logic on this one.

• Jason_MeyerJason_Meyer Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

We have systems that automate code changes or configuration changes.  They have been tested and proven to work, but are 'scheduled' to be implemented.  Now that the work has been automated, it would be nice to have the tracking automated as well.

• Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are other approaches to this, too.  Perhaps you already considered them and ruled them out, but just in case you have not, nd for the sake of others who might be reading along with interest:

If you used Orchestrator or SMA runbook activities in your ticket to kick off that automation, the activities would mark themselves complete when finished. (or failed if the job does not complete)

If that approach does not make sense you could always have your other automation notify Service Manager to complete the task (PowerShell would be the easiest way, but not the only way).  You would most likely want/need to inform your other jobs what ticket number to look at, when they are staged, of course.
  • Jason_MeyerJason_Meyer Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info Tom, we continue to explore this.