Home Analyst Portal
Options

Strategy for keeping some Work Items confidential

Sandy_WoodSandy_Wood Customer IT Monkey ✭
From time to time, we get requests to do some searches in email from HR that need to remain confidential and out of prying eyes. We want to create Work Items but want to limit who can see them. We currently have 4 support groups in our Service Manager world, Networking, Help Desk, Programming, Facilities. We don't want anyone in those Teams to see the Items. Should we just create a new support group, say, Confidential and then only let specific people be part of it? Wondering what others have done in similar situations.

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    Thanks, Justin. This is good information to think on. Time for me to get to know queues.
  • Options
    Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was going to post a similar response, but now I can simply agree.  How is that for easy? :)

The one thing I would add in support of this is do not underestimate the performance impact.  It is real, and can be quite severe if you do not scale up with it and optimize your inclusion/exclusion rules to be as succinct as possible while still selecting the correct object(s).

In the background, scoping of any kind (only admins operate completely un-scoped) adds complexity to the queries that run in the background, and makes them less efficient.  The less scoping applied to a user, the better.  The more a user can access, the less work is required of those queries.  I often wish that it worked the other way around.
  • Options
    Thanks for the insight, Tom. Honestly, hadn't considered that. We're a small shop with only about 10 users on the portal currently. The office likes the Portal so I'm guessing it won't be long before we expand that.