Home Analyst Portal

Announcement visibility

Tomi_KaartamaTomi_Kaartama Customer IT Monkey ✭
In another discussion, the following was written:

Domain users will work once its enumerated in the cache, groups are only enumerated in the cache if its targeted to one of the below settings:

- Mapped within Support Group Mappings
- Already in use in a current role:  Analysts, KnolwedgeManager, AssetManager, LocalizationManager
- A Security Group
- A specified Team Group
- A specified Group Form
- Announcement Group 

We have a situation where

- A group can be selected as the access group for an announcement which means it is present in service manager
- The group is defined as security group in AD
- The announcement is still not visible for group members

What exactly "a security group" means in the top list? Is that something different than a group created in AD as a security group?

What would I need to do to allow posting the announcement to this group?

T: Tomi

Best Answer

Answers

• Brian_WiestBrian_Wiest Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ran into the same issue as well.

What it means if lets you have have AD security groups
    Ciresonportalusers -Linked to an end user role 
    Ciresonportalanalysts -Linked to the analyst role
    Team1 - linked to team groups
    Team2 - listed in AD but not "targeted" in SCSM/Cireson settings

Lets say you want to publish an announcement specifically to Team2. The create announcement will allow you to target the AD group and publish.
    The issue you run into is that AD group membership is not replicated into the cache. Basically the portal knows the group exists but not the members. 
    So once published the cache builder has to pick up the "requirement" to sync the members on the next sync cycle. If this group has a large membership it can take some time.
    The end result is that publishing to a group like Team2 there is a lag before the members of that group will see the announcement on the portal, not instant like if you target Team1. 

One thing I was provided is if you have large groups you may want to target for a future issue is to create a backdate announcement that expired, target the group Team2. This will sync the members into the portal. So there is no lag when new announcements are posted.
    HTH
  • Tomi_KaartamaTomi_Kaartama Customer IT Monkey ✭
    edited May 2018
    In fact, the group is small. I would want to publish to about 20 users that are end users but we don't want to publish to all end users.
    I re-read the suggestion. So our situation is what is described for Team2. I'll test that approach.
    So this does work. In our environment, the cache builder is performing a full update once a day. If all announcements are created well in advance, this should not be a problem.

But is there a more permanent solution for this? Is there a way to add all the groups that I would want to be always present to a list somewhere so that we would not need to wait for the cache builder?

One idea that comes to my mind is to create an empty folder on the support portal, then share it with all the different AD groups and finally hide it.

Would that work and/or is there a better way?
  • Alex_MarshAlex_Marsh Premier Partner Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    The ability to flag certain groups for announcements (so membership is prepopulated in the database) would be a great help as there is often a delay (especially for urgent ones) for it to appear
    Does anyone at Cireson have any suggestion for this?