Home General Discussion
Options

Performance IE VS Chrome for both SCCM and SCSM Portal

Jason_TaylerJason_Tayler Customer IT Monkey ✭

Does anyone else find that Chrome will out perform page load times, login and overall user experience

majority of my users do not have access to install chrome on there local machine, therefor report that both the TCC and Cireson Portals are slow and sluggish

Developer tools

IE home page refresh will take ~13.5 Seconds

Chome Home page refresh will take ~3.5 Seconds

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I haven't timed it myself, but my passerby observations have been that the SCSM Portal seems to perform better in Chrome over IE.
  • Options
    Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, definitely.  I haven't timed it in over a year, so I do not have the exact times handy, but I recall certain client-side tasks like copying a ticket would take over 7 times longer in IE with everything else being equal.  Firefox and Chrome are just about equal.

I recommend against IE every conversation I find myself in. Even putting SCSM/Cireson Portal aside, we would like to have IE completely removed/disabled from our image, but some older web apps are forcing us to keep it for now.  Replacing those ancient web apps has risen in priority lately.
  • Options
    Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Something else that just struck me that maybe worth entertaining here is SCOM APM. Should be in the technical clear since the SCSM Portal rides on .NET 4.0 application pools (e.g. it's not affected by the potential SCOM 2016 Agent bug for APM).

Then just perform the standard Client Side Compatibility check against the CiresonPortal webapp and edit the APM configuration files to support browsers besides IE for CSM if you haven't already.
  • Options
    Jason_TaylerJason_Tayler Customer IT Monkey ✭

ah so the sales pitch should be blazing fast portal (only if used with any other browser than IE)

Given pages take 3-4 times longer just to load from the web auth page I don't think there is anything we can do to tune this, and at times we find users don't even get the service catalogue category list in IE. I think this is leaning towards Cireson needing to take a look at this overall.

as I said its not just the SCSM Portal it also affects the TCC portal.

also worth noting the out of the box SCSM Gen 1 Portal running on SharePoint 2010 foundation and Silverlight loads fast in IE than Cireson's portal.....