Home Self-Service Portal - Community

What puts the "Portal" into the source field when making requests via the Self-Service Portal?

At present our Source field is blank when Service Requests are created in the Self-Service Portal.  I don't want to put the word Portal into each template behind each request and was hoping there is a default template for this job.  I tried changing the DefaultServiceRequest template via Admin Settings - Setting Items - DefaultServiceRequestTemplate.  I did put the name and not the display name into the fields and it is along the lines of:  Template.79fdaef727c14a368337e518f21583b6  I have also tried IISRESET; Recycled the application pool;  restarted the Cireson CacheBuilder service;  Reboots;  Waited overnight.  Have also searched the community site.  No joy.  I'm doing something wrong.  Anyone any ideas?  Thanks a mil, Ben.

Best Answer

Answers

• Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    So there are two ways to go about this, but what holds true for both scenarios is create your own SR template and don't use the stock ones that ship with SCSM.

Once you've done this, those new templates you create you can either set the Source as "Portal" within the template or using SCO/SMA runbooks you could set this. The second option here feels like overkill, but it never the less is another way to go about this. The point is by setting it in the Template you can always count on the field being filled out.
  • Ben_McGarryBen_McGarry Customer IT Monkey ✭

Thanks Adam.  SCO/SMA isn't an option for us yet. 

I did create a Service Request template. 

Then got the template name via:

Import-Module -Name smlets -Force
    Get-SCSMObjectTemplate | Sort-Object TypeID, DisplayName | Format-Table DisplayName, Name
    returns a list of templates including the following:

Display Name:  Request New - via Portal                                                    

Name:  Template.79fdaef727c14a368337e518f21583b6

I typed the template name (Template.79fdae...etc.) into the DefaultServiceRequestTemplate field in the Portal Admin Settings - Setting Items.  I also recycled the web site application pool and restarted the Cireson Cache.  I even ran a SQL command to look at the Cireson ServiceManagement database to check the template name.  All looked O.K.

However it didn't work.  I've either broken something or I'm missing something.  If it is staring me in the face I don't see it.  Any other ideas?  Much appreciated.  Ben

• Roland_KindRoland_Kind Partner Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

How is the new service request created - with "new" from an analyst - or from a request/service offering?

Did you create a new own list (enumeration) entry for the source field - so not using the default ones ?

Q. How is the new service request created - with "new" from an analyst - or from a request/service offering?

A. From a Self-Service Portal request.

Q. Did you create a new own list (enumeration) entry for the source field - so not using the default ones ?

A. No.  Just using the default Portal entry in the Source list.

Am I correct in saying I should only have to:

1. Create a Service Request Template with the "Portal" in the Source field.

2. Put the internal template Name into the Cireson SSP Admin Settings - Setting Items - DefaultServiceRequestTemplate field?

3. Recycle the Application Pool.

Is this correct?

• Brian_WiestBrian_Wiest Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Correct but you should add to restart your browser session after the App pool recycle. Hitting F5 will NOT perform the same function. Only closing all your browser windows and reopening the website will the local cache refresh. 

if it is still not working & just to be sure - how did you create the self-service portal request ?

Brian, thanks a mil for that.  Really appreciate it.

Roland, most of the requests were created in a bulk upload using a CSV file.  Some were created manually.  Won't know until Monday 18-Jun-2018.  I'll get back to you then.  Thanks, Ben.

Sorry folks, I'm a bit late with my reply.  The Request Offerings were bulk created via CSV and each one then edited and saved by hand with request specific changes to some fields.  Why would how they were created make a difference?

.. just to be sure - you applied the template in the request offerings like this example ..

Thanks Roland.  The example you show above is for a specific Request Offering.  The templates we are using in our Request Offerings are working.  However... that isn't the default template I'm concerned with.  In our equivalent of the above example the RO template does not contain the word Portal in the Source field because the same request offering (and template) could also be called from the console.  So I expect the "Default Service Request Template" to apply first from the "Portal - Admin Settings - Setting Items - DefaultServiceRequestTemplate" setting.  This is the template I would expect to contain the Source:  Portal.  A combination of both templates is what I expect to happen.  Is this where I'm going wrong?

Hi Ben,

I am not sure if the portal applies TWO templates.... as far as I know the the default template (from the settings menu) is used if you create for example - a SR from the analyst menu "NEW / Work Item / Service Request / New Service Request"

You can create an enum list entry prompt in your RO with the appropriate source and map this to the "source" field - but this is something the user must select...and it looks like, that no default value can be provided,  but maybe another solution exists for this problem.

HTH

I had hoped that I could have a default template for each source (Portal, Console, EMail) that applied as a default template for that source and then apply another template such as through the Request Offerings but with the source blank in the request offering templates.  My understanding of how the products work was all wrong.  Thanks everyone for your time and expertise.