Home General Discussion

How to trigger a workflow only when a specific property is updated ?

Stephane_BouillonStephane_Bouillon Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
Hi,

I'm struggling with workflows on update of an item that trigger for every possible update even when Nothing relevant for my scenario has updated. How can I trigger the workflow on updates of a specific property only ?

Best Answer

Answers

• Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's several ways to accomplish this.  If you're wanting just a notification, you could do a subscription where the targeted class is updated and the criteria "changed from" is not the target value and the "changed to" is the target value.
  • Stephane_BouillonStephane_Bouillon Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    I understand, but what I essentially want to accomplish is the "changed from" value of a property is different from the "changed to" value for that same property without having to identify the value. Also I noticed that for Incidents, certain properties such as the AffectedUser are not available in the changed from criteria.
    Wow, what an opportunity for Cireson to make life easier...

Next question, I generally try to stay far away from touching a management pack, but I guess for my scenario there will be no alternative. What are the end to end steps to edit and update a management pack as described ? I'm assuming putting these in a separate MP would be a good idea ?
  • Jeff_LangJeff_Lang Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    for anything like this i would suggest always having as a separate MP, just to lower the chance of anything else being affected by it or anything else affecting it.

it literally is how i described above, create what you are after in a separate mp, then export the mp, edit it as above (it will just be a simple xml text file), then import the mp again
    I did what you suggested, and -interestingly- when I reopen the workflow configuration in the UI (without saving), I see the the following expression in the "Changed From":

Affected User [Domain User or Group]User Name does not equal Post