Home Asset Management

Best practices for updating Catalog Items and Hardware Assets

Stephane_BouillonStephane_Bouillon Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
Hi,

In the Asset Management Settings, is there a best practice for the workflow settings (I'm using SCCM) ? For example, should I need to run the HW Asset workflow before the Catalog Item workflow or vice-versa ? What are best practices for the other options available in the Cireson Asset Management settings ?

Answers

• Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Hi Stephane,

Hopefully we've covered this one off elsewhere but in case you still unsure or someone else finds it

I would run the HWA Sync first, allow for it to completely finish (you will need to monitor the average time it takes from the logs) and then let the Catalog Item workflow run.

And before the HWA sync runs, ensure the ConfigMgr connector has fully finished (again look and how long it takes) to avoid a longer delay between new items being discovered by ConfigMgr and being created as HWAs.

Geoff
  • Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    To @Geoff_Ross' "before this, then that" point it's worth highlighting some of the excess data these two processes can create.

https://community.cireson.com/discussion/comment/11905#Comment_11905

• Stephane_BouillonStephane_Bouillon Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Thanks Adam for clarifying this, we are in the same situation as described, namely when we decommission a machine we re-image it and give it a new name. What I would expect is that when a machine is found with a serial number for which there is already a record in the HW Assets, it should update the existing asset, how else could we keep track of the Financial aspects such as warranty etc... ? I'm wary about activating the AD-AM Connector as I'm worried that a lot of information will flow into SCSM that is no longer accurate.