Home Asset Management
Options

Catalog items vs Make/Model

Stephane_BouillonStephane_Bouillon Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
Hi,

I'm wondering how to best use the catalog item functionalities. Should I have a catalog item for every make/model of pc in my environment ? I understand the catalog is for use in service requests, so in fact I would rather just have a few catalog items, like standard desktop Pc, standard laptop, etc... but the make and model of what is a standard device changes over time. As the model is part of the properties of a catalog item, I don't see how I could link catalog items to hardware assets if there are different models for what is a "standard laptop".

On the other hand, I don't want to offer a catalog list of outdated items in the service request.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Stephane_BouillonStephane_Bouillon Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Thank you Geoff for your extensive answer. Why would you choose to have another item type than "Computer" for subtypes desktop, laptop, etc... ? Doesn't that add a layer of complexity ? What is the benefit ?
  • Options
    Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Just to provide a better understanding of the asset estate. Eg
    • How many laptops do we have in total?
    • We need to provide home working functionality for Accounts Department. How many of them use a Desktop?
    • What percentage of senior management have a Windows tablet?

It adds complexity to the configuration I guess but not much. Using the Catalog Items means it adds no complexity to process because it will happen automatically.
  • Options
    Robert_OsterbergRobert_Osterberg Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
    Thx for the explanation. So we are in the process of implementing HWA in ITAM and pretty much automate alla HWA ordering and so on. We are going to make use of the Standard class in ITAM. But my thinking is that i wan´t to do PC ordering by workrole/userrole. We have standard pc`s laptop and desktop and also highend pc`s for CAD and CAM work. Also there is 2-3 models of the same type.
    So today we get alot of users ordering the wrong type of HW because they don`t know the difference so by setting standards per user and adding pc types and applications the user only need to know what type of work they are hired to do to get the correct setup. We can alos relate other types of accessories to this as a maybe in need of a spacemouse for cad and so on. 
    I think that standards have a lot of power to streamline and for IT it becomes much more simple.