Home Asset Management
Options

Asset Import Best Practice

Rob_SimonRob_Simon Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
Hello everyone, we're working on implementing asset management. Easy to get all the existing HW data from SCCM into the portal but curious what others do with new equipment as they are ordered or arrive onsite.

We'd love to have HW Asset Status as "ordered" and "in stock" but these PCs wouldn't have been joined to the domain yet or inventoried by SCCM.

What do others do today?
- Simple upload via Asset Excel/manual entry?
- Asset Import Connector run on a schedule from a constantly updated CSV file?

Also, what do folks use as the primary field that ties all the HW together? GUID? Serial?

Thanks!
Rob

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rob_Simon - I can't speak to what users do in terms of how they keep their unjoined HWAs accurate, but I highly recommend using GUID as the primary key for HW Assets.
  • Options
    Thanks for that @Justin_Workman

Not sure if you can answer this, if we manually import HW data (serial, model etc) via asset excel/import, we obviously get a unique GUID but when that HW officially gets into SCCM, does Cireson Asset Management see matching data (again, serial/model etc) and update the existing GUID or does it create a new one?
  • Options
    I missed seeing that option. Thanks!
  • Options
    damon_mulligandamon_mulligan Cireson Consultant Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Rob_Simon
    In the Asset Management settings, you do want to select GUID as the HW Asset Id, but if you are creating HW Assets before they are on the network, you will want to at a minimum populate the serial number, as that is what the HW Sync looks at to create HW Assets from Windows Computers. If the Serial Numbers match, it will just associate the Computer CI to the HW Asset, vs creating a new one.