Home View Builder

Custom views - How to sort against dates and numbers without issues

Marcin_SzablowskiMarcin_Szablowski Customer IT Monkey ✭
edited October 2018 in View Builder

Sorting by date doesn't work correctly for Ascending/Descending search under custom view. The data is not sorted as dates should be (it's just comparing digits in a row - that's why 6/2 is between 6/20 and 6/19).  

The same thing is happening to ticket numbers If I sort descending numbers that consist of seven digits (the first digit is 1) are after those consisting of 6 digits (the first digit is 9).

Do you have any idea on how can I fix that?

Answers

• Brian_WiestBrian_Wiest Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    How are you building the custom view.
    Promoted views from the console or SQL table widgets?
  • Marcin_SzablowskiMarcin_Szablowski Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Hi Brian, Thanks for comming back to me. I used promoted views. 
    Might be the version of the portal you are using. There have been some bugs with promoted views and some of the portal updates.
  • Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems that all views other than My Work, Team Work, My Requests, Team Requests, and Active Work treat date columns as text.  This has affected not only promoted views but also dashboards since v8.0 IIRC.
    @Tom_Hendricks The release notes shows it was revolved with v8.5.0 fixing PR67851
    I am currently running v8.9.3 and ID and Dates are working properly on all tables. Both Promoted views and SQL widgets.

edited October 2018
    It certainly does say that, but I have installed every version before and since and it has never functioned properly since v8 (the browser, device, cache all have no bearing on it).

The columns sort as text.  As further evidence of the issue, one can look at the filters on the same column.

This is portal v8.9.3:

Which should look like (taken from My Work):

Wonder if it has anything to do with the version of the MP for views when promoted. If you promote a new view does it show correctly? I think I may have had to go and republish some views at one point.
  • john_doylejohn_doyle Cireson Support Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    @Tom_Hendricks You may have figured this out already, but there is a known issue in SCSM 2016 which causes this. Check the release notes for SCSM 2016 UR5.
    @john_doyle: We are not running 2016.  We are on 1807, which I understand to be equivalent or higher than UR5.  Also, we have this issue with SQL dashboards as well.  We got rid of all our promoted views and reproduced them as SQL dashboards, because that fixed it several versions ago.  That was a ton of effort, but it worked for a time.  Now dashboards are broken too.  We just can't catch a break with this!