Home Service Manager

Promotion of Management Packs from DEV -> PROD

John_LongJohn_Long Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
Hi guys,

Finally preparing for our go-live in the coming weeks. I was tranferring our management packs from DEV over to PROD but encountered some issues. I used an inherited incident class in one management pack and despite the pack importing without issue, each time I attempted to raise a work item via the portal, the webconsole.log would report:

"Creating request offering failed with error: An object of class ManagementPackClass with ID 1341ff68-ae00-1542-1b89-cdb7daaaeee4 was not found."

In the end, I restarted the SCSM services on the management services and the error went away!

How do you recommend, or how do others, transfer management packs from DEV to PROD? Do you include any quirky actions that you've found are necessary for successful import?

Thanks!

John

Comments

• John_LongJohn_Long Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Bump? :) Any thoughts?
  • Amanda_HoreAmanda_Hore Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭

We use the tool mentioned by Fe_fe for items that have a runbook.  All other items we import them as you would expect to. 

If they are request offerings then we always do a restart of the Cache builder and Website for the portal as part of the change, but if just list values and the like we do not worry about it. 

• Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Management packs often have dependencies on each other for settings and class edits etc.
    Making sure that the versions of MP's are all up-to-date across Dev/Test/Prod is important.
    Outside of that, Runbook activities (like @fe_fe and @Amanda_Hore mentioned) are the key things that clogs up the works.
    This is due to the GUID that is assigned to the Runbook in Orchestrator so the app mentioned above can go in and re-assign the GUID based on the name of the Runbook.

If there are specifics that you are stuck on, post them here and see what the community can find out for you.

• Jon_RunheimJon_Runheim Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
    For migrating MP's with runbook references I'd rather recommend the one on the link below:
    https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Service-Manager-Migration-f8f6d196#content
    which is described in detail on the link below:
    http://model-technology.com/update-runbook-guids-script-for-scsm/
    The Coretech one is GUI based but doesn't work in all scenarios which gives unpredicted results. The one on the link above is powershell based and has never failed :smile:
    Please also see the Q&A section on the first link for a fix to make it even better.