Home Analytics

Out of box Analytics are not reflecting accurate numbers?

Jason_MeyerJason_Meyer Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

So, trying to get value from the Analytics 'dashboard' that is out of box.  Is there any documentation on what these views are showing?   I look at "Top Affected Users" and am looking at "Top Affected Users with Most Incidents" and then I filter it to YESTERDAY.  And I get some information, but if I look at my data and pull all Incidents from yesterday and determine what user has the most, what is reported on the Analytics dashboard doesn't match up.

It only shows one "Affected User" who is showing three incidents.  They did have three incidents, but there were two other 'affected users' that I have INCIDENTS for that are not showing up in the Analytics dashboard.

Any existing documentation on this specifically or help or thoughts?

Answers

• Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe there is a delay on when the CiresonAnalytics DB that some of them point to gets updated.  That might be the issue here.

We use our own dashboards that point directly at the source data, for this reason and others.  I'm still trying to figure out the usefulness of the Analytics DB, frankly.  The dashboards themselves, on the other hand, are a wonderful addition when we have them pointing at better data.
  • Jason_MeyerJason_Meyer Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Thanks Tom, any idea what the delay is?

Cireson, do you have any documentation on the queries that create these graphs?
    Just touching base on this one.   We do not create many work items over the weekends, so for "Top Affected Users" I looked at what YESTERDAY showed and the Analytics displays one 'affected user' as being the top 'affected user' from yesterday.  I don't find any work items CREATED, RESOLVED, or CLOSED for that user.

What am I missing?   As is, I think this is a bug, is it?
  • Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone who has been largely ignoring this DB for a while, I'm going to defer to Cireson on both points, not just the docs.
  • Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    The data in the Analytics DB is populated from jobs that run once per day.  The schedule at which they run can vary pretty wildly and is dependent on what you set in the installer(or based on the install time if you left it default).  If you look in SSMS/SQL Server Agent/Jobs you can see the queries the jobs are running to populate the Analytics DB by scripting a 'DROP and CREATE'. (Note that you can view the queries without executing them if you click 'DROP and CREATE'.)

To Tom's point, if you're wanting up-to-the-minute data, queries against ServiceManagement or ServiceManager tend to be better.

The Analytics DB is to keep data long-term.  The WorkItem data will be groomed out of ServiceManager at some point as determined by your settings in the SCSM console.  At some point the work item data in the ServiceManagement will also likely be flushed out(though there isn't an automatic process for this).  The Analytics DB is to keep that WorkItem data preserved.  Of course this is also what the SCSM DW is for.  However, as many of us know, the DW frequently has issues and can be difficult to troubleshoot.  Analytics is meant to be a simple supplement to the available data moving around in SCSM.

Found this document on the out of box 'Dashboard': https://support.cireson.com/KnowledgeBase/View/1150#/

Does anything like it exist for 'Analytics'?

@Justin_Workman is there any further documentation on the Analytics DB?  Name of the database, location of the SQL queries?  I have a SQL admin that can look at this but they don't know Cireson.

• Peter_MiklianPeter_Miklian Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

I dare to hijack this thread a little bit:

Recently we removed obsolete Business services from our SCSM environment. Relations to work items get deleted. We use CiresonAnalytics DB to pull data to QlikView for easy reporting. Removed BSs are still visible in QV. After @Justin_Workman explanation I understand that's because there's no grooming job on CiresonAnalytics DB and this DB is holding all the data since beginning of the universe :)

@Justin_Workman (or anyone else, of course) could you advise what would be the best to get rid of those data? I presume to delete all records from [CiresonAnalytics].[dbo].[SM_WI_Relationship] M having M.[TEXT_TargetTypeId] = 'Business Service', am I right? Do we need to take care and remove only our deleted BSs according to M.[TargetTypeDisplayName] or can we delete all those relations and Cireson job would recreate those which are still valid in SCSM databases? Thank you.

@Peter_Miklian - You may want to delete the records where TEXT_TargetTypeId OR TEXT_SourceTypeId = 'Business Service'. There will be all relationships from SCSM, not just relationships where the source is a Work Item. You might want to flush any relationships to Business Services from Analytics.

I would think it would be OK to flush all of the BS relationships and let the job bring the "active" ones back in.