Home Cireson Uploads

IT Monkey will place code here as examples of what Cireson's consulting team has to offer as well as examples for public consumption to benefit the Microsoft System Center community as a whole.

DISCLAIMER

All files and projects located here come as is and without any warranty or support. We will attempt to improve the projects as time goes on based on customer and community demand. Comments and improvements are welcome as well as customization requests. Your use of these Cireson Uploads is subject to our Terms of Use.

Cireson's support team has no information on these projects outside of what you have available and will not provide support for these enhancements, extensions, and scripts.

Dont forget to checkout solutions uploaded by our customers, partners and community members here.

Example: Change Requests with ARO

Joe_BurrowsJoe_Burrows Cireson Devops Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2019 in Cireson Uploads
Disclaimer: This feature is now included with Advanced Request Offering feature for portal 9.4.1 and above. It is recommended to remove the Class Extension included in this post before upgrading to the later Advanced request offering management packs to avoid SCSM Datawarehouse MPSync Issues

Re-post of the workaround posted in feature request here; thought id also build the example out further - its really just an export of a SR RO MP that also contains a CR template where ive tweaked the target template from SR to CR versioned up and reimported.

Hopefully will help as an example to build out a change request process using the service catalog and advanced request offering for dynamic questions to ensure Analysts are not skipping the key information Change Managers always pestering your about ;)

I've attached the sample MP near the end - only gotcha is you cant use multi mapping as the extended property does not exist on the CR class (update: Tested and confirmed you can if you extend) . You also need to ensure that the users have change request role access so would recommend catalog scoping to the appropriate role or just for Analysts.

Comments

• Raffael_JenzerRaffael_Jenzer Customer IT Monkey ✭
    @Joe_Burrows

Thanks so much for your implementation. We use it and it looks great!
    Question 1: Do you've found a solution, so that in CR ARO "multiple mapping" can be used?
    Question 2: In the Cireson Portal, the CR ARO cannot be found with Service Catalog Search... we're only able to find them by browsing through the Service Catalog. Do you have the same problem?

Thanks for your answer! :-)
  • Joe_BurrowsJoe_Burrows Cireson Devops Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Raffael

Great to hear :)

I haven't tested but if you were to extend your change class to have the string property CiresonARA02 then multiple mapping should work. Let me know if this does the trick.

I never noticed this, but just testing I am seeing the same result. Search must be limited to SR IR's ROs.

Let me know if you have success with the class extension 

Cheers
    Joe
    Hi Joe

ARO: Multiple mapping for CR's:
    I'm really new to SCSM and Cireson... so to do the change classe extension will be not so easy for me. :-(
    Is this a big thing to do?

Search:
    I think it should be possible to change some of the portal code... do you know where to start?

Take care,
    Raffael
    Hi Raffael

An extension is not a big thing to do, I can take a look doing it at some point and confirm if this works or not.

As for the search this would not be easily achieved unfortunately as this is an unsupported workaround id recommend giving the feature request here an upvote so we can add this functionality out of the box.

Cheers
    Joe 
    edited March 2017
    @Raffael_Jenzer

Ive tested and confirmed having the class extension allows multi mapping to work.

Ive attached the mp I used if you want an example to work off for a test environment (This does come with the unsupported disclaimer and would recommend testing this thoroughly before putting in a prod system).

Cheers
    Joe

• Magnus_Lundgren1Magnus_Lundgren1 Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
    Ive imported the MP but i cant seem to select a change request template from the create request offering wizard?
    Its pre-baked into the management pack, importing the MP will allow you to see the RO which you can then edit \ customize.
  • Magnus_Lundgren1Magnus_Lundgren1 Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
    OOOOH! there it is :) thanks!
    Wow, thanks Joe! Imported... worked like a charm! :-) 
    I've already upvoted! 
    I think it should be possible to tweak the search... but i have no clue where to do it... 
    Does anyone have an idea how to achieve this?
    We would like to get the Change Request (Advanced) Offerings searchable like the other (IR/SR Request Offerings).
    @Joe_Burrows
    We're currently working with your CR ARO solution. But we have the problem, that when we edit an CR ARO (Edit Advanced Request Offering button), then when we click on "Multiple Mapping", then on the Change Request (or an Activity) on the right side:

The following error message appears:

Error Text:
    Date: 09.05.2017 11:00:27
    Application: System Center Service Manager
    Application Version: 7.5.3079.607
    Severity: Error
    Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.UI.SdkDataAccess.ConsoleTaskHandler.DoTask(IList`1 navigationNodes, NavigationModelNodeTask task, List`1 parameterList)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.UI.SdkDataAccess.ConsoleTaskHandler.DoTask(IList`1 navigationNodes, NavigationModelNodeTask task)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ConsoleFramework.WindowJobRecord.ExecuteBackgroundJob(Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs eventargs)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.UI.Console.ConsoleJobExceptionHandler.ExecuteJob(IComponent component, EventHandler`1 job, Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs args)

Any idea how to solve this?

Regards and thanks in advance,
    Raffael

• Brian_WiestBrian_Wiest Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Raffael_Jenzer
    I have run into this error a few times as well. It occurs for me if I forget that I performed a mapping to a form/activity and then remove that activity from the template. 
    How I fix it. 
    Open as you would before installing the ARO. (Using properties) 
    Then Save 
    What this will do is save the RO as a standard SCSM RO without out page layouts and multi mapping.
    The you will have to reopen rebuild your page layouts and multi mapping, but it clears the error without having to rebuild the entire ARO.
    HTH

edited May 2017
    @Brian_Wiest
    You're my hero! This solved the problem.
    Do you have any idea how to get the CR ARO's searchable at the Portal homepage (like normal IR/SR ARO's)?

Thanks for your help! :-)

Regards from Switzerland,
    Raffael
    Warning to all, I am finding that this is occurring for the Change Request work items with ARO the error occurs every time I unpublish and attempt to make changes to a working ARO. Just happened today to a working CR that I didn't make any changes to the template. 

@Raffael_Jenzer
    Never noticed they didn't appears in search. Might be something with the Cireson code for in looking at the work item class. 
    @Brian_Wiest
    Yes, this error occured in our system without changing the template. But thanks to your solution, i was able to get the CR ARO editable again. :-)

About the search:
    I think somewhere in the portal, we should be able to edit the search-code. Do you habe any idea where to do that?

• Simon_LovittSimon_Lovitt Customer IT Monkey ✭
    We want to be able to have the user fill in the basic information - Title, Description, Reason, Priority and submit. This then goes to the reviewer (RA), which is then followed by the design (MA). At this point we wanted the designer to be able to input the planning items - implementation plan, risk assessment plan , test plan, backout plan. We edited the basic management pack, to be able to just present the first part , but when we go in to service the planning part, this is now read only. The only way we can see to implement this is by making the planning sections not required i.e. Optional="true" , in the management pack, but this would mean the user having to ignore that section. Anyone have a more elegant way to hide the planning form the user and let the analyst still edit?
  • Marek_LefekMarek_Lefek Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    I Have import Custom.ChangeRequest.ARO.Support.mp file but I can't find the SR on All RO list or templates. Do I have do or import something else?

• Marek_LefekMarek_Lefek Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    I add
    @Raffael_Jenzer

Ive tested and confirmed having the class extension allows multi mapping to work.

Ive attached the mp I used if you want an example to work off for a test environment (This does come with the unsupported disclaimer and would recommend testing this thoroughly before putting in a prod system).

Cheers
    Joe

Do I need to import only this MP or also the earlier from the top of page. I see the template but I cant choose it when i create ARO. There I have only SR templates.
    Top of the page is the one you want, it will create a request offer already with a change request template (As the XML has had the template switched to a CR). 
  • Chris_JordanChris_Jordan Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Hi Joe, just on the extension of the MP and multi-mappings, would this only work on new properties and not on existing properties say "Description"?
    Hi Joe, just on the extension of the MP and multi-mappings, would this only work on new properties and not on existing properties say "Description"?
    Hi Chris

It will work with any properties such as description,  if you are using the MP I provided make sure you remove the 'Map Prompts' for description when setting multimap for description, as im using the out of box map prompts in that particular management pack.

I just tested and its OK

I need help... Whenever we edit an CR ARO and do multiple mappings, everything works fine.... until we reopen the console... then, we're able to open the CR ARO and as soon as we click on an activity, it crashes with the following error:
    Date: 08.03.2018 12:03:04
    Application: System Center Service Manager
    Application Version: 7.5.3079.0
    Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.UI.SdkDataAccess.ConsoleTaskHandler.DoTask(IList`1 navigationNodes, NavigationModelNodeTask task, List`1 parameterList)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.UI.SdkDataAccess.ConsoleTaskHandler.DoTask(IList`1 navigationNodes, NavigationModelNodeTask task)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ConsoleFramework.WindowJobRecord.ExecuteBackgroundJob(Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs eventargs)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.UI.Console.ConsoleJobExceptionHandler.ExecuteJob(IComponent component, EventHandler`1 job, Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs args)

I have the same bug (And I think anyone will since we are working around the system making RO with CR templates and then on top using ARO)
    I find I need to open in the standard properties window, save the RO, which wipes out most of the ARO features. Then open in ARO to reset all the mappings. 
    @Brian_Wiest Yes I know this solution (is above in topic)... but we have to do this everytime, when we want to edit a CR ARO.... any help is really appreciated!
    @Brian_Wiest Yes I know this solution (is above in topic)... but we have to do this everytime, when we want to edit a CR ARO.... any help is really appreciated!
    Hi Raffael, I believe this is the only work around at this stage until we can add the CR ARO functionality in the product as per the feature request.
    I have made minor changes directly in the Management Pack but you really need to be careful of changes there. Most of the time I run thru the "work around" 
  • Brenda_GodinezBrenda_Godinez Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Hi!! @Joe_Burrows
    It work excellent but I did an update of service manager and portal cireson, now I am in 2016 and the changes request in my environment test with this MP no longer work for me.

It show the following error: 

Date: 09/11/2018 10:16:01 a.m.
    Application: Edit Cireson Advanced Request Offering Builder
    Application Version: 7.5.7487.0
    Message: Database error. MPInfra_p_ManagementPackInstall failed with exception: 
    Verification failed with 2 errors:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Error 1:
    Found error in 1|ManagementPack.f8944ce730ce4b63bcffbeef8f2dd3f7|1.0.0.0|Offering3df22f355c414d7e97235aed400572db/GeneratedId_PresentationMappingTemplate0/GeneratedId_Sources0/GeneratedId_Source17/GeneratedId_Targets0/GeneratedId_Target0|4|RequestOffering/PresentationMappingTemplate/Sources/Source/Targets/Target with message:
    Invalid Presentation Mapping Template. The path is not found in the target template.
    Error 2:
    Found error in 1|ManagementPack.f8944ce730ce4b63bcffbeef8f2dd3f7|1.0.0.0|Offering3df22f355c414d7e97235aed400572db/GeneratedId_PresentationMappingTemplate0/GeneratedId_Sources0/GeneratedId_Source17|4|RequestOffering/PresentationMappingTemplate/Sources/Source with message:
    Invalid Presentation Mapping Template. The source is not mapped to a target or unused by any other sources.

: Database error. MPInfra_p_ManagementPackInstall failed with exception: 
    Verification failed with 2 errors:
    Error 1:
    Found error in 1|ManagementPack.f8944ce730ce4b63bcffbeef8f2dd3f7|1.0.0.0|Offering3df22f355c414d7e97235aed400572db/GeneratedId_PresentationMappingTemplate0/GeneratedId_Sources0/GeneratedId_Source17/GeneratedId_Targets0/GeneratedId_Target0|4|RequestOffering/PresentationMappingTemplate/Sources/Source/Targets/Target with message:
    Invalid Presentation Mapping Template. The path is not found in the target template.
    Error 2:
    Found error in 1|ManagementPack.f8944ce730ce4b63bcffbeef8f2dd3f7|1.0.0.0|Offering3df22f355c414d7e97235aed400572db/GeneratedId_PresentationMappingTemplate0/GeneratedId_Sources0/GeneratedId_Source17|4|RequestOffering/PresentationMappingTemplate/Sources/Source with message:
    Invalid Presentation Mapping Template. The source is not mapped to a target or unused by any other sources.

When you report you made a change, sounds like you updated the MP for your production environment, and now in the new the GUIDs are different. or don't exist in 2016.
    When thing I found in migrating from 2012 to 2016 is that if you have the change request RO in a custom SO that you created, that when you recreate the SO in the new system it will have a different GUID. When you try to move your MP it fails and it cannot find the GUID. One thing I did to move MPs was remove the RO from the custom SO and placed it in the "General". The General SO has the same GUID in both farms This allows you to copy over the MP and once imported you can then change what SO it is offered in.
    (Same is true for any customized enumerations contained in the RO/SO values)
    HTH
  • Brenda_GodinezBrenda_Godinez Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Thanks @Brian_Wiest
  • Gary_WinhovenGary_Winhoven Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Hello,

We have been using the Change Request ARO for quite some time. It has worked with our SCSM 1801 environment very well for a long time. 

Recently, I had to make some edits to one of our Change Request AROs. One of the fields was being multi mapped to the description already, but was needed in the title as well. So, I left the multi mapping alone in the description and added the multi mapping in the title as well. 

However, when users now try to use this ARO, the multi mapping to the title and description do not work and both show up blank. I tried removing the multi mapping from the title and submitting a test request. It worked as it should. I then tried removing the field multi mapping from the description and putting it back in just the title. The test worked again.

I had thought that my testing had succeeded, so I reported that the ARO was working and could be used again. Later that day, a user submits a Change Request with that ARO and experiences the same symptoms.

I assume at this point it has to be some weird user error. I do a screenshare with the user so they can show me how they're using the request. They don't seem to do anything out of the ordinary and when they submit the request, all of the multi mapping shows in the Change Request like it should. 

I am not seeing any logs out of the ordinary and there hasn't been any software updates before this started happening.

If anyone has any experience with this, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you
This discussion has been closed.