Home Installation & Configuration

We're excited to introduce you to 14 new Remote Support apps as part of the existing Service Management Stream!

These modern, web-based, user and device management tools for Analysts help further maximize productivity, deliver faster problem resolution and increase end user satisfaction.

Check out our on-demand webinar to find out how these new apps fit into your existing Team or Service Management Foundation license, see a technical overview demo, and more.View the installation & setup webinar to learn how to get started with Remote Support.

Remote Management Apps fail on install. Error 1603

Im trying to install the new Remote Management Apps but it fails. I looked in the install log and I can see that it failed with an error 1603. 
Info: CustomAction PlatformToolsInstall returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
How can I fix this so I can complete the install?

Answers

• james_kleinschnitzjames_kleinschnitz Cireson Dev, Product Owner Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    What version of Windows are you installing on? 
    This error comes from the optional Powershell Tools failing to install.  You can choose to not install them on the custom setup step or make sure you have Powershell version 5 installed on your machine.

• Kat_RhodesKat_Rhodes Customer IT Monkey ✭
    edited November 2018
    I am having the exact same issue.  I opened an Incident for it also.   I'm installing it on Windows Server 2016.  It gets to "Status: Waitforplatformbootstrap"  during the setup, stays there for a nice long while, then errors out that the install failed

I've attached the log also.  
    This is without the optional Powershell Tools selected
  • james_kleinschnitzjames_kleinschnitz Cireson Dev, Product Owner Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    @Kat_Rhodes
    Your error seems to be different, can you please attach your platform logs to the IR you opened with Support and we can help you there.

1. Platform Logs location: C:\ProgramData\Cireson.Platform.Host 
    2. Platform Log filename: Platform-[date-log-created]

• Kat_RhodesKat_Rhodes Customer IT Monkey ✭
    j@james_kleinschnitz  Done and Thanks.
  • Bryant_RichardsBryant_Richards Customer IT Monkey ✭
    @james_kleinschnitz Im on Server 2012
    Here is the end of the log file with the error:

Info: Exception thrown by custom action:
    Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Management.Automation.CommandNotFoundException: The term 'Register-PSRepository' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
       at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.PipelineBase.Invoke(IEnumerable input)
       at Platform.Cpex.Installer.Utilities.PowershellProvider.InvokeCommand(Command command) in D:\a\1\s\ControlCenter.Core\Platform.Cpex.Installer\Utilities\PowershellProvider.cs:line 60
       at Platform.Cpex.Installer.Utilities.PowershellProvider.RegisterRepository(String path, String repoistoryName, Boolean trusted) in D:\a\1\s\ControlCenter.Core\Platform.Cpex.Installer\Utilities\PowershellProvider.cs:line 29
       at Platform.Cpex.Installer.CustomActions.PlatformTools.PlatformToolsInstall(Session session) in D:\a\1\s\ControlCenter.Core\Platform.Cpex.Installer\CustomActions\PlatformTools.cs:line 20
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object parameters, Object arguments)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object parameters, CultureInfo culture)
       at Microsoft.Deployment.WindowsInstaller.CustomActionProxy.InvokeCustomAction(Int32 sessionHandle, String entryPoint, IntPtr remotingDelegatePtr)
    Info: CustomAction PlatformToolsInstall returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
    Info: Action ended 13:39:01: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
    CommonData: Message type: 2, Argument: 0
    CommonData: Message type: 2, Argument: 0
    CommonData: Message type: 0, Argument: 1033
    CommonData: Message type: 1, Argument: Control Center Remote Management
    ActionStart: Action 13:39:01: Rollback. Rolling back action:
    ActionData: Installing Platform Tools...
    ActionData: PlatformToolsInstall_Rollback
    Info: SFXCA: Extracting custom action to temporary directory: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI60DA.tmp-\
    Info: SFXCA: Binding to CLR version v4.0.30319
    Info: Calling custom action PlatformMsiCompiler!Platform.Cpex.Installer.CustomActions.PlatformTools.PlatformToolsUninstall
    ActionStart: Action 13:39:01: PlatformToolsUninstall. Uninstalling Platform Tools...
    Info: Uninstalling PowerShell module 'Cpexlets'...
    Info: Exception thrown by custom action:
    Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Management.Automation.CommandNotFoundException: The term 'Uninstall-Module' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
       at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.PipelineBase.Invoke(IEnumerable input)
       at Platform.Cpex.Installer.Utilities.PowershellProvider.InvokeCommand(Command command) in D:\a\1\s\ControlCenter.Core\Platform.Cpex.Installer\Utilities\PowershellProvider.cs:line 60
       at Platform.Cpex.Installer.Utilities.PowershellProvider.UninstallModule(String name) in D:\a\1\s\ControlCenter.Core\Platform.Cpex.Installer\Utilities\PowershellProvider.cs:line 43
       at Platform.Cpex.Installer.CustomActions.PlatformTools.PlatformToolsUninstall(Session session) in D:\a\1\s\ControlCenter.Core\Platform.Cpex.Installer\CustomActions\PlatformTools.cs:line 33
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object parameters, Object arguments)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object parameters, CultureInfo culture)
       at Microsoft.Deployment.WindowsInstaller.CustomActionProxy.InvokeCustomAction(Int32 sessionHandle, String entryPoint, IntPtr remotingDelegatePtr)
    Info: CustomAction PlatformToolsInstall_Rollback returned actual error code 1603 but will be translated to success due to continue marking
    ActionData: Copying new files
    ActionData: Creating folders
    ActionData: Updating component registration
    CommonData: Message type: 2, Argument: 1
    CommonData: Message type: 2, Argument: 1
    Info: Action ended 13:39:05: INSTALL. Return value 3.
    InstallEnd: 1: Control Center Remote Management 2: {2279F15D-36AC-4AC1-804C-9F7DCFD56D5F} 3: 3 
    CommonData: 1: 2 2: 0 
    CommonData: 1: 2 2: 1 
    Info: Action ended 13:39:05: INSTALL. Return value 3.
  • lance_wynnlance_wynn Cireson Dev IT Monkey ✭
    Hi, 
    I believe if you uncheck the Platform tools option, it should work.

If you want the platform tools then you can update to powershell 5 on the server.
  • James_JohnsonJames_Johnson Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    @Bryant_Richards did you ever find a solution for this? Getting the same error.

Thanks,
    James
    @James_Johnson The exception in this discussion is caused because Powershell 5 is not installed.  If you are installing on a 2012 R2 Server, you need to either upgrade the server to WMF 5, or uncheck the tools box.  
    Check here:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/wmf/5.1/install-configure and follow the instructions for server 2012 R2

If this does not work, you may be seeing a different issue, in which case we can take a look at your setup logs, and see what is going on.
    edited May 2019
    Hi Lance,

I'm installing this on server 2016 with PS v 5.1.

Edit: I just realized I was looking at the error log for Kat Rhodes not Bryant.  My log looks the same as the one Kat posted. 

Thanks,
    James
    Got it, it looks like it is timing out waiting for the host service to bootstrap.  Can you check the logs in the following folder?  It may be that there is a port conflict, or a DB exception that is getting reported by the service, but is not available to the installer.  A quick look at those logs should provide additional insight.  
    1. Platform Logs location: C:\ProgramData\Cireson.Platform.Host 
    Looks like my service account didn't actually have all the sql permissions it needed.  I guess I should have verified those pre-req's.  After adding the permissions it worked.

Thanks,
    James