Home Self-Service Portal - Community

Installer on Azure VM (WS2016/2019)

anders_spaelling60anders_spaelling60 Member IT Monkey ✭
Trying to install the SSP on an Azure VM. At first I had my hands on a WS2019, and just nothing happened when trying to execute Cireson Setup.application. Same on WS2016. 

I guess the short answer is that it is only supported on WS2012R2, but I simply have had no luck installing .NET Framework 3.5 on that. There is something weird going on with the WS2012R2 Azure marketplace image.

I would suspect not supported would mean I could run into issues with the portal at some point, not that the installer fails to respond.

Any experience installing this on Azure VMs?

edit: I Cireson Setup.application on a different machine and copied the downloaded file to the Azure VM. Seems to work. 

Answers

• Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you got the portal running on Server 2019??
  • anders_spaelling60anders_spaelling60 Member IT Monkey ✭
    No, but on 2016.
  • Konstantin_Slavin-BoKonstantin_Slavin-Bo Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    Cireson states that prereqs are (from KB2438):

Cireson Portal Requirements

The Cireson Portal must be installed on a server that has the following hardware and software requirements:

• System Center Service Manager 2012, 2012 R2, 2016. Install must be on the same server as the web site/cache builder.
    • Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2, 2016.
      • Note: Windows Server 2008 R2 is not tested or supported at this time.
    • 8 GB of RAM minimum plus 100 MB per activeconcurrent analyst user in a 24 hour period.
    • 4 cores minimum, 8 for larger deployments.
    • 1 GB of disk space.
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2
    So WS2016 is supported and should be able to install. Running the Setup.application on another machine and copying the installer files is also a supported way to install the portal on air-gapped servers, so you shouldn't have any issues with installing the portal that way either.
  • Konstantin_Slavin-BoKonstantin_Slavin-Bo Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    Apparently. After a quick glance in the release notes for the major versions, I cannot find which release started to support WS2016 (SCSM 2016 support came in v7), but I'm pretty sure it was before March 2018 (last update of the doc you linked).

Someone must have forgotten to update the docs :|