Home Cireson Uploads

IT Monkey will place code here as examples of what Cireson's consulting team has to offer as well as examples for public consumption to benefit the Microsoft System Center community as a whole.

DISCLAIMER

All files and projects located here come as is and without any warranty or support. We will attempt to improve the projects as time goes on based on customer and community demand. Comments and improvements are welcome as well as customization requests. Your use of these Cireson Uploads is subject to our Terms of Use.

Cireson's support team has no information on these projects outside of what you have available and will not provide support for these enhancements, extensions, and scripts.

Dont forget to checkout solutions uploaded by our customers, partners and community members here.

Advanced Searches for Cireson Service Manager Portal

Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
 SearchesPNG

For the code and latest info, please go to https://github.com/Cireson/Community_AdvancedPortalSearch

Features

• Adds Hardware Asset, Software Asset and User searches to the portal
  • Results appear as you type Don't press Enter
  • Click the result to open the item in a new tab
  • Asset Managers will always have their search box default to Hardware Asset Search

Installation

1. Copy the Searches folder from the _install folder into CustomSpace in your Portal Web Files
  2. If this is the first extention you have installed, copy the contents of Script Loader.js to the top of custom.js found in CustomSpace folder
  3. Copy the contents of Add to CustomJS.js to the bottom of custom.js found in CustomSpace folder
  4. Run each of the SQL scripts that is in the _install folder against the ServiceManagement database
  5. Refresh the Portal

Further help

Please log issues on GitHub

Pull requests are welcome

Comments

• Mark_GearyMark_Geary Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Hi This has stopped working on the new version 
  • Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Hi This has stopped working on the new version 
    @Mark_Geary
    This is due to a issue with v8.9.5 as we discussed. It should be fixed in the next version.
  • Alex_MarshAlex_Marsh Premier Partner Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Seem to be having some loading issues with the latest portal version (8.12.4), search returns results fine but gets stuck after clicking on a user. Anyone else having issues?
  • Justin_ClarkeJustin_Clarke Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Hi Guys, Have the same issue with User search. on later versions. weird as the page on i icon for a user loads with no issue. is there a tweak needed? Thanks in advance.
  • Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a variation on what others are saying, but I only notice the problem after the user types, then gets results, then edits the search.  Especially if the user is a fast typer or hits backspace many times, it hard-locks the search and the only remedy is to refresh the page.

We do not use this in Prod, but I am hoping to push it soon since I am trimming down the left-hand nav and getting rid of our other search boxes.
    Hi Thread,

Thanks for the feedback, I'll take a look at this issue if i can find time but, the majority of feedback has been that users don't like the instant search as it works differently to all the OOB searches. Therefore, the next version of this customisation will revert back to the 'press enter to search' style with a results page for each of the custom search types. This new version is ready to go but dependant on v9 as it uses the new caching of users for fast user searching as well as the existing caching of HW and SW assets.

Geoff
  • Gabriel_LencesGabriel_Lences Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    @Geoff_Ross can this be customized somehow to add the functionality of searching accross all of these advanced searches without the need of having a dropdown menu? In other words, the search field would search in all of these categories by default without the user / analyst needing to "select" the type of search? 

Thanks,
    G. 
  • Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Thread,

...the majority of feedback has been that users don't like the instant search as it works differently to all the OOB searches....
    Just speaking for myself here, but I actually view it a bit differently.  I do not mind the way that it displays suggestions, at all.  The problem seems to be that it does not handle button-mashing, typo-making, mind-changing users very well. Any of us could potentially be "that" user on a given day, too.  There is another search Jovian Hedrick and Nick Velich wrote way back that seems to be less bothered by these changes because it just makes an Autocomplete field and lets Kendo handle all the user's bad behavior.  It is simpler, in that the results are just a text suggestion below where you are typing instead of a bunch of cards with lots of info, but it is very effective.  Perhaps having the search behave similarly is a way to please both camps?
    This new version is ready to go but dependant on v9 as it uses the new caching of users for fast user searching as well as the existing caching of HW and SW assets.
    Your timing seems to be quite good, here.  :) Can't wait to see the v9 version of this.
    @Gabriel_Lences

Image result for cubert farnsworth anything is possible if you can imagine it

But, this would not be able to rely on the oData endpoints (which are vastly optimised for performance) because these only deal with 1 type at a time.

@Tom_Hendricks
    You are right, different people will want different things so a combo solution would be best. I've been crazy busy recently but will get this current version on here ASAP and will think about these improvements.

• Rao_RaoRao_Rao Member IT Monkey ✭
    Hi 
    how are you guys? i am trying to set this up in the my community portal. while running the sql query against  the SCSM database i am getting an error "Invalid object name 'DataSource". can someone pls help? i am newbie to portal customization 
  • James_JohnsonJames_Johnson Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    @Rao_Rao
    Might be best to create a thread a separate thread on this but what version of the portal are you on?