Home Analyst Portal

Email Watcher

Kevin_GoodwinKevin_Goodwin Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
I thought there was a way to have an email trigger a ticket creation, but I can't remember how or where to set this up.

For example:

Automated email alerts go out to our IT group when a virtual machine is not responding. I would like to turn those automated email alerts into tickets automatically. Do I have to have the email alerts redirected to a different mailbox? Can I apply a template for those specific tickets?

Thanks,

Best Answer

Answers

• Kevin_GoodwinKevin_Goodwin Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Thanks Tom! I am not overly savvy when it comes to installing customization's like this. Is there a walkthrough on how to get it installed and how to configure it?
  • Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    There are some examples in the wiki tab on the GitHub site, which may be helpful.  The script itself also has quite a bit of information in the comments on what the different settings do and how to configure them.

My personal advice is start small, with all the "extra" features turned off (set to $false), and work up from there.  Just start by having it read an email and make a ticket.  It has a ton of great features, but your familiarity will build after you get the basics down.

@Adam_Dzyacky has a direct link in his comment in this thread, too: https://community.cireson.com/discussion/comment/16994/#Comment_16994
  • Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    To add to @Tom_Hendricks comment, if you want to start even smaller than the connector and playing in the SCSM, Exchange, PowerShell sandbox - I put together a test connector on the blog that has 0 SCSM functionality and you can use to prove basic connectivity over to Exchange. It's useful for troubleshooting or just getting started.

https://adhocadam.github.io/smletsexchangeconnector/the-smlets-exchange-connector-at-its-core/

Otherwise, feel free to ping back here or on the thread Tom cited for questions.
  • Kevin_GoodwinKevin_Goodwin Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the information guys. I guess my problem is I am only used to the pieces where I load an MP and drop files into specific locations to get something to work. I am not familiar with PowerShell at all. I will see if I can figure this one out. I currently use the Exchange Connector that comes out of the box, and I want to retain that functionality, as well as add some of the customization's you have made with this tool.
  • Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something I learned from Microsoft and through horrifyingly awful performance is that you do not want to run too many Exchange connectors, and you must run one per mailbox.  More than 3 and you are going to start to notice.

I can understand some hesitation to configure the script if you are not comfortable with PowerShell.  Hopefully, the instructions are clear enough and the fact that you are just changing the values of certain variables, (such as $favoriteAnimal = "dog" where we might have the default as "cat"), makes this simple enough to tackle. 

I am very interested to hear your experience, in either case.

The only PS-specific advice I would add that is not explicitly mentioned in the comments (although it is seen in many examples) is that true and false in PS are written as $true and $false.  Depending on how far you go, you may also see some items written as "SomeTextIwantToSet$".  The $ at the end means "do not match anything but this exact text / do not match other things that start with this but have more text after / STOP HERE.  I do not recall any settings near the top that use this convention or would benefit from it, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

So good luck and please do tell us how it goes!  If it is less than a breeze, perhaps we can help out.
  • David_JohnsenDavid_Johnsen Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Alternatively you could use the Get Item tool in Orchestrator to get emails from an inbox.

We use this for order emails sent from our IT store. I've attached a screenshot of our runbook below, you probably wont need a lot of these steps, a lot of the below is because we wanted to convert the email being read in to something usable without being able to change the actual email.
    If we were just logging the call with the email body it'd be much simpler.

Also there's a step in there in case the email they send is over the 4000 character limit.