Home Analyst Portal

How to overwrite code in app.js?

Margarete_JussenMargarete_Jussen Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭

Our support Team complain that if they press Home in our Portal the default search area is set to service catalog and not to work item. We tried to overwrite this by custom.js code but that did not work because the following code in app.js overwrites the code of our custom.js. As a Workaround we overwrote this code in app.js. Does anybody know how to fix this with a custom file and not an original source code file? Regards Margret

headerSearchSetType: function () {
        var currentURL = window.location.href;
        var searchParam = $("input[name=search_param]"); //the hidden field which holds the search type id
        var searchConcept = $("span[id=search_concept]"); //the span field which displays the search type value
        var searchInput = $("input[name=searchText]");

//service catalog
        if ((currentURL.indexOf("ServiceCatalog") > -1) ||
        (currentURL.indexOf("94ecd540-714b-49dc-82d1-0b34bf11888f") > -1) ||
        (currentURL.indexOf("02efdc70-55c7-4ba8-9804-ca01631c1a54") > -1)) {
            searchParam.val("ServiceCatalog");
            searchConcept.html(localization.ServiceCatalog);
            searchInput.attr('placeholder', localization.SearchServiceCatalog);
        }
        //knowledge base
        else if ((currentURL.indexOf("KnowledgeBase") > -1) || (currentURL.indexOf("0aef4765-0efa-4a65-84c1-324b09231223") > -1)) {
            searchParam.val("KnowledgeBase");
            searchConcept.html(localization.KnowledgeBase);
            searchInput.attr('placeholder', localization.SearchKnowledgeBase);
        }
        //default to work item if analyst
        else if (session.user.Analyst) {
            searchParam.val("WorkItem");
            searchConcept.html(localization.WorkItem);
            searchInput.attr('placeholder', localization.SearchWorkItem);
        }
        //default to Service Catalog if not an analyst and we are down here
        else {
        }
    },

Best Answer

Answers

• Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Hi @Margarete_Jussen
    The Cireson portal is designed to allow customers to extend or modify the Javascript as needed, but rather than editing the code directly in the files, which we will replace each time we do an upgrade, we provide a folder called CustomSpace where you can load a file called Custom.js that will run last in the load of the page and therefore overwrite any code that is already loaded.

If you took your code and placed it in Custom.js in the CustomSpace folder, you should be good to go.

I hope this makes sense.

Brett
  • Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Hi @Margarete_Jussen

You cannot 'override' the built in code. As @Brett_Moffett says, we can use custom.js to add our own code but this code is always executed last, so will probably run too late even if we could redefine the above function. The default search area might well already be set by the default code before custom.js gets run and therefore editing the method to determine what search to use on page load is useless.

However, we can use custom.js to do anything we like on the page, once it has run all the out of box code. This could include resetting the default search if certain criteria are met. Eg user is an Analyst and Current Page is the Homepage.

This is what you need to run. It will check the conditions are right and then force the default search to be WorkItem. Its not tested it fully, timing might be tricky but see how you get on.

var currentURL = window.location.href;
    var searchParam = $("input[name=search_param]"); //the hidden field which holds the search type id
    var searchConcept = $("span[id=search_concept]"); //the span field which displays the search type value
    var searchInput = $("input[name=searchText]");

//check for Analyst and Homepage
    if (session.user.Analyst && ((currentURL.indexOf("ServiceCatalog") > -1) ||
    (currentURL.indexOf("02efdc70-55c7-4ba8-9804-ca01631c1a54") > -1))) {
        searchParam.val("WorkItem");
        searchConcept.html(localization.WorkItem);
        searchInput.attr('placeholder', localization.SearchWorkItem);
    }

As always with custom JavaScript, its best to place this code in its own JS file, in your CustomSpace folder (good practice is within another sub-folder to stay organised). Then you need to call that file from within custom.js file. The recommended way is with the scriptloader function. Do you know what that is?

Geoff
  • Margarete_JussenMargarete_Jussen Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
    Thanks for your answers. This is what I tried first like I always do if I want to overwrite settings. I think I have to go on searching why this does not work for this case. Regards Margret
    This ist the Code in app.js which Always overwrites my changes in custom.js:

//service catalog
            if ((currentURL.indexOf("ServiceCatalog") > -1) ||
            (currentURL.indexOf("02efdc70-55c7-4ba8-9804-ca01631c1a54") > -1)) {
            }

In the debugging mode I see that first my changes in custom.js are run and afterwards the above mentioned code in app.js.
  • Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Hi @Ryan_Lane and @Margarete_Jussen

Nice one Ryan for getting into this.

Margarete, my code was only intended as a snippet to do the actual work. You always need to consider timing with custom JavaScript with regards to the actual elements on the page and other JavaScript still to execute at the time of the custom code running.

• Ryan_LaneRyan_Lane Cireson Support Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Geoff_Ross
    On a side note, I have updated the description for my answer to reflect how jQuery's document.ready executes its private readyList vs. my previous, incorrect understanding.  No changes in the script, just the actual reason why it works.
    Thank you very much for your answers. I tried Ryans solution with the inner anonymous function and it works now. Regards Margret
    I forgot to say that I had already used the document ready function but this did not help but the solution with the inner anonymous function does.