Home Orchestrator

How to create a PA on the fly after a MA in a SA workflow

Ingrid_GlatzIngrid_Glatz Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭

I'm in the process of creating an Orchestrator Runbook that has or adds different activities based on the selections in a form.

I'm stuck in an area where, after a fixed MA, I would like to create a PA that includes 3 MAs. This part is only needed in 1 out of 4 different workflows, that's why I don't want to add it as a fixed PA into my template.

All icons in the picture that show the HOLD symbol, are the permanent activities. Now, after the MA276815, I would like to create a new PA (purple circle) and within this PA, create 3 MAs. I don't find the proper connection within my Runbook to create the PA at the right place. My first tests ended up in having the PA with all 3 MAs, properly configured, but it was nowhere connected with the SR itself. Just hung in the air. I had Source Class = Manual Activity and Target Class = Parallel Activity, Relationship Type = Contains Activity, Source Object GUID = SC Object GUID from the MA276815.

Then I changed the Source Class = Sequential Activity and Source Object GUID = SC Object GUID from the SA276810. Now, the new PA got created after PA276811, but before MA276815 which is the wrong order. I played around with Sequence ID 0 and 1, ID always PA{0}. How do I manage to get my PA in the place of the PA276907: TEST ? I added this PA manually just to be sure that it's accepted after a MA, but still within the SA. So at least, it's not a restriction by Orchestrator itself.

Any idea what's wrong in my configuration? Thanks for your help.

Ingrid

Best Answer

Answers

• Ingrid_GlatzIngrid_Glatz Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭

Hi Eric,

I guess that's what I need to do. I've done a lot of testing and none succeeded. This PA gets created somewhere, but not related to its SR or in the right order of all activities.

I think I'll create different templates, but should be able to use the same runbook. Otherwise, my colleagues will be irritated if there are skipped activities in the workflow.

• Eric_KrasnerEric_Krasner Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    @Ingrid_Glatz
    It is all about communication. I have found that people are more willing to accept a little more discomfort if it is the result of creating a sustainable, repeatable, and less complicated environment.  Skipped activities are part and parcel of the Service Manager experience.  They cannot be totally avoided.
  • Ingrid_GlatzIngrid_Glatz Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭

@Peter_Miklian

unfortunately not. We're not using SMA. My issue wasn't the creation of the PA and its containing MAs, but the place within the SA. The order of all activities wasn't correct. I now use 2 different templates for the workflow, depending on the offerings, one of it contains already the PA and its MAs at the right place.

• Peter_MiklianPeter_Miklian Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    @Ingrid_Glatz, take a look here: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/mdowst/archive/2015/10/26/scsm-powershell-create-work-items/
    The Sequence Id determines the order in which the activities are set in the parent work item, starting with 0. You will want to make sure that you are adding your activities in the appropriate order using this property.