Home Analyst Portal

4000 character limit on Action Log, still allows to save but doesn't save anything.

Jason_MeyerJason_Meyer Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

4000 character limit on Action Log, still allows to save but doesn't save anything.

Is this a bug or our configuration error?

Best Answer

Answers

• Jason_MeyerJason_Meyer Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

Sorry, Tony, if the Action Log entry is over 4000 characters is where I'm seeing this error.  What is your systems behavior if pasting in 5000 characters and then hitting ADD.   Our environment, the pasted information goes away, but the Action Log is not updated.

Testing this again, we just upgraded recently and now if we paste 5000 characters into Action Log and hit ADD, it saves everything up to the 4000 character limit.

I think it is reacting normally, apologies...

• Tony_CollettTony_Collett Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the SCSM Action Log entry is hard set to 4000 characters (I'm not sure if you can modify this), so our Action Log entry is set for 4000 characters as well. It will trim anything after that, especially if it's copied and pasted. 
    Best way to go would be to either shorten the comment, or split it into 2, like you would with long Twitter comments
  • Jason_MeyerJason_Meyer Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

In our Action Log field, we can paste more than 4000 characters, but if we try to save, it does not save the entry.  No error message, information just isn't saved.  I hear what you are saying, but if the field is limited to 4000 characters, it shouldn't allow more than 4000 characters to be entered/pasted etc...

Seems like a bug.

• Eugene_RackEugene_Rack Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭

Good morning

We have just experienced the same issue. While I understand that Microsoft System Centre backend has the limitation I would have thought that the Cireson portal that has the message there is a 4000 character limit if you enter more than 4000 characters it shows as the comment is added but when you save and then go back the comment is not there.

Should the comment field not prevent you from adding more text or at least move the counter from 4000 to red text and negative value? If is states I have 50 characters left and I paste in say 90 characters it sticks at 50 characters left which is confusing. So you think you still have 50 characters left.

Kind regards

Eugene