Home Powershell Activity
Options

Environment variable name or value is too long

Saleh_OwenSaleh_Owen Customer IT Monkey ✭
We have an notification subscription set up to send out an email every time one of our PowerShell Activities fails. For some reason every two weeks or so, we will get 20-30+ emails all at one time stating that all of the PSAs are failing with the same error:
An error was written to the Error stream!
Environment variable name or value is too long

The only thing that we have found to fix it is just restarting all 3 of the SCSM services running on our management server. Has anyone else seen this issue? Does anyone have any idea of why this is happening?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Hi @Saleh_Owen

This is familiar to me but i just can't quite remember the cause. I might come to me so I'll continue to think but i'm pretty certain the issue was addresses in an update. Can you please confirm what version you are running.

Geoff
  • Options
    Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Saleh_Owen - Is the subscription criteria just PSA moved from not failed to failed?
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Can you please confirm what version you are running.

@Geoff_Ross - We are running PSA v. 8.1.3.2012

Is the subscription criteria just PSA moved from not failed to failed?

@Justin_Workman - Yes, the notification criteria looks for PSAs that go from not failed to failed. The problem is not the notifications though. The problem is that we start receiving a bunch of emails indicating that all of our PSAs are failing at the same time with the same error message.
  • Options
    Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Saleh_Owen - Do you have each PSA running as its own process? 
  • Options
    Geoff - I believe this is exactly where the problem was. Rather than updating the whole module, I just changed the $env:path line in SMLets.psm1. I have no way of confirming this fixed the problem except for not seeing any more of these errors, but I'm pretty confident this was the problem.

Thanks for the help.

-Saleh