Home Service Manager
Options

SCSM ticket creation skips sequential numbering sequence

Tom_MoseleyTom_Moseley Customer IT Monkey ✭
When creating new tickets for a list of items to be generated, the ticket numbers skip a number for each ticket entered.  I am creating each one individually, but the SR number changes from SR216454 for the first one and then SR216456, SR216458 and so on.  What is happening to cause the entries to jump over a ticket number?  If someone else enters a ticket, then it seems to go to the next number in the order (SR216459 for example) and then my tickets change to odd numbers and still skip the next number in line, SR216461, SR216463...

Comments

• Options
    Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Tom,

Does the SR have an activity?

Geoff
  • Options
    Gerhard_GoossensGerhard_Goossens Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    The numbering increments by one for every work item. So if SR12345 has an MA attached to it the MA will be MA12346. So the next Work Item that is created will be xx12347.
  • Options
    For these specific tickets we are creating, there is no Activity added.  I thought maybe a Manual Activity might be taking up a number making the number skip, but there is not anything that I find listed in the Activity tab.
  • Options
    Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    To add to @Gerhard_Goossens point, this also is true if you open a New Work Item (thereby plucking the next number in the sequence) and then Cancelling instead of saving it. That number is now "gone" and will never be used again.
  • Options
    Gerhard_GoossensGerhard_Goossens Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    This should help. Read the blog and then the comments. Travis mentions a potential bug of numbers jumping. But I'm sure this would have been fixed by now.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/servicemanager/2011/04/06/faq-why-dont-work-item-ids-increment-uniformly/
  • Options
    Thank you!  That satisfies my curiosity as to why the numbering is not sequential.  Thanks for finding that blog as I had no luck when searching for that answer.  There must be something in the ticket creation that is getting the next number assigned to it and it may even be that the ticket was changed to Low Priority since it was an upgrade project with no set timeline.