Home Advanced Request Offering

Making Any Minor Change to an RO Results in a Flood of Duplicate Resolution Notifications

Matt_OvertonMatt_Overton Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
Since getting stuck into our portal and looking to update our old request offerings, I've noticed each time I make any minor change, it results in people receiving duplicate resolution email notifications for their incidents and service requests in a Resolved or Completed state (not Closed) that were originally created using the RO I've updated.

This is very frustrating and has resulted in complaints from end users who have received a bunch of emails for tickets resolved or completed a while ago (we have the Auto Close setting set to 21 days).

I understand this is because the "Last Modified" date gets reset each time which is ultimately the cause, but my main question is, do others encounter this issue? If so, how do you get around it?

As an aside, our SQL database filled up recently with the following (Service Manager/non-Cireson) database filling up with an insane amount of records:

After some research, we figured this was responsible for holding the "History" information. We had our history set to 365 days and we've reduced it right down to 60 days, but even after an overnight clean up job the size only dropped by 1GB, suggesting the vast majority of records are under 60 days old. This probably means it's, again, somehow tied in to my small changes to our ROs. Is each change stamping new history on all the old incidents and service requests?!

Any advice/information gratefully received!

Best Answers

• Tony_CollettTony_Collett Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    That seems very strange. I would be checking your notification settings since it seems to be triggered by small changes. Perhaps you have a criteria set for update, but no specific other criteria?
    Last modified would only be changed if you are importing the ARO management pack, it shouldn't be getting changed for other MP imports.
    Once an SR has been raised it essentially becomes its own entity, and RO changes shouldn't be affecting these records. 
  • Joe_BurrowsJoe_Burrows Cireson Devops Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    As Tony mentioned its probably missing a from criteria. Which its important for workflows to have, otherwise it triggers on all updates to any workitem (Remember class extensions etc updates all workitems so if your workflows arent specific it can create a storm of transactions).

Notifications make sure as set as below:

Answers

• Tony_CollettTony_Collett Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    That seems very strange. I would be checking your notification settings since it seems to be triggered by small changes. Perhaps you have a criteria set for update, but no specific other criteria?
    Last modified would only be changed if you are importing the ARO management pack, it shouldn't be getting changed for other MP imports.
    Once an SR has been raised it essentially becomes its own entity, and RO changes shouldn't be affecting these records. 
  • Joe_BurrowsJoe_Burrows Cireson Devops Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    As Tony mentioned its probably missing a from criteria. Which its important for workflows to have, otherwise it triggers on all updates to any workitem (Remember class extensions etc updates all workitems so if your workflows arent specific it can create a storm of transactions).

Notifications make sure as set as below:

• Matt_OvertonMatt_Overton Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
    Brilliant thank you! Who knew it could be something so simple causing such an issue?

Both notification subscriptions (Incident and Service Request) had changed to criteria, but neither had changed from criteria. Have updated both accordingly, made an update to our most popular ARO and... no emails! Perfect.