Home Service Manager Asset Management Feature Requests
We appreciate you taking the time to vote and add your suggestions to make our products awesome! Your request will be submitted to the community for review and inclusion into the backlog.

We recommend reviewing what is submitted before posting, in case your idea has already been submitted by another community member. If it has been submitted, vote for that existing feature request (by clicking the up arrow) to increase its opportunity of being added to Cireson solutions.

For more information around feature requests in the Cireson Community click here.

Automatically populating fields when creating a new Hardware Asset

When creating a new hardware asset and selecting the catalog item. Can the system automatically   populate the Model, Asset Type or Manufacturer into the  new hardware asset?

Thanks
Steve

0 votes

Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• damon_mulligandamon_mulligan Cireson Consultant Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    This functionality exists now. If you select the Catalog Item from the picker in the form, it will be populated when the workflow runs based on your Asset Mgmt. settings. If you select the task to Associate to Catalog Item on the HW Asset, those values will be displayed on the form immediately. 
  • Robert_OsterbergRobert_Osterberg Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    @damon_mulligan
    does this apply to the Portal task or ITAM Task in the Console? and from wich version?

Found It
  • Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    This functionality exists now. If you select the Catalog Item from the picker in the form, it will be populated when the workflow runs based on your Asset Mgmt. settings. If you select the task to Associate to Catalog Item on the HW Asset, those values will be displayed on the form immediately. 
    I hope nobody minds me jumping into this thread with an additional question, but does this also apply to SW Assets now?

Also, if I extend the Catalog Item class and populate them in a catalog item, does that mean that any corresponding properties/enums get populated in the SW/HW asset when the cat item is applied to it, too?
    The workflow for Catalog Items only applies to HW Assets at this point.
    So the way to address this on my own would probably be to create a workflow (or trigger a runbook) that writes the properties from one object to the other?
    Yes, but what properties would you have copied to the SW Asset? The HW Asset properties from SCCM that get copied are Serial Number, Manufacturer, Model, Asset Tag, Vendor.

A SW Asset Catalog Item would only have Manufacturer, and for Vendor, I normally don't even have that property transfer over unless you always purchase the HW/SW from the same Vendor every time, which is extremely rare.

So, to create a runbook to transfer manufacture is a bit extreme.

What properties did you extend?
    These would be custom attributes, such as which support group(s) support a particular SW asset.  The idea is that there are large groupings of SW assets that all fall into the same buckets of support, and there ought to be a way to easily stamp a given SW Asset as such.  Catalog Items seem like an acceptable fit, potentially, even if not ideal.

Templates might work too, but I'm looking for a way to do it with a user interface already in place for it that I do not have to write, and with as little customization as possible.  I am clearly not going to escape having to write some kind of customization, though.

I am definitely open to other suggestions.
  • Stephen_JonesStephen_Jones Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Thanks for all the feedback. I cannot  seem get this to work. I have enabled the workflow for every 10 minutes however its its not populating the hardware asset fields.
    I am on 8.0.11.2016

Any ideas?

• Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    @Stephen_Jones

Can you check the workflow logs for the Catalog Item Workflow.

Geoff