Home Asset Import

Errors on import without an error message (data validation issue)

Daniel_PolivkaDaniel_Polivka Customer IT Monkey ✭
Hello, I noticed that the import tool doesn't seem to have an error mechanism when importing fails. I attempted to add 55 vendors to our dev environment, and only one was successful (randomly too, it was about 15th in the list). So out of 55 potential imports, 54 of them failed, and the confirmation window still says that the import completed successfully.

Is there a way ensure data validation for an import? The Excel add-in has so much potential, but the lack of data validation is enough for me to not use it.

Comments

• damon_mulligandamon_mulligan Cireson Consultant Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    For initial mass imports of Asset Data, I would suggest using the Asset Import application. The test mode and normal import mode create very descriptive logs (make sure you set a path in the Asset Import Settings), and there is a document on how to read them. There is a log generated for the Asset Excel application, but it may not be as descriptive. There is also a test mode. Either way, I would suggest importing data in test mode, read the logs, then import data to create. We can look into the logs generated in Asset Excel and data validation to try to make it easier in the future.
  • Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can test the data via Asset Excel without actually importing the data.

Within settings, select the "Run imports in test mode" option.

Now when you hit import the app will attempt the import and run the query without the commit on the query and will then return the errors from SQL.
    These can be seen in the log files that you access from the Asset Excel toolbar in Excel:

A successful import will look like this:

Hope this answers your question.

• Daniel_PolivkaDaniel_Polivka Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Thank you Damon and Brett, I will give this a shot and let you know the results!
  • damon_mulligandamon_mulligan Cireson Consultant Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    @Daniel_Polivka
    It has been a while, but are you having anymore import issues?