Home Advanced Request Offering

Mapping to Assigned to Field in SR and Activities

Matt_OvertonMatt_Overton Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
edited May 2019 in Advanced Request Offering
Hi, I wondered if anyone knows if there's a way (assuming it's possible) to map to the "Assigned to" field in a Service Request and/or an activity.

The reason we'd like to do this is because we want to make a concerted effort to log all contacts with the service desk regardless of how they come in. To facilitate this, we were thinking of using an "internal only" ARO and wanted the resulting SR to either auto-assign to the analyst who created it somehow or for the analyst to be able to select their name within the form and then have this selection mapped to the Assigned to field.

Answers

• Brian_WiestBrian_Wiest Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is your end goal to limit the Assign to to only the members of that support group?
  • Matt_OvertonMatt_Overton Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
    Hi @Brian_Wiest, not necessarily. It's more so that analysts can be a little bit lazy and not have to assign the Service Request they have just created to themselves as an extra action after creating it (we have it as a required field).

The more streamlined and easy it is for them, the less likely it is an analyst won't bother creating an SR for a phone call or walk-in they've just handled.
  • Brian_WiestBrian_Wiest Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    We use a combination of controls.
    One we limit the assigned to to only show the list based on the support group, including the Assign to me control.

Two we have an analyst only service catalog for know use cases. After filling out the request it gets dropped into a "workflow" support group that monitors for new requests via a Runbook and assigns to the created by user

Three we have a custom exe monitoring the support group unassigned requests and it assigns to available analysts in a round robin. So if one is not assigned it gets assigned to another analyst who will typically assign back to the one who created it.

• Matt_OvertonMatt_Overton Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
    Ah, so we need to make better use of support groups for this to work? We're such a small team we don't really use support groups as there aren't enough of us for it to be necessary. We pretty much stick to just one group.

So could we theoretically create another support group to operate with a workflow as you've mentioned in number two and get all our "internal only" AROs to assign to that group? That sounds like it could work pretty nicely, thank you! Now I just need to figure out Runbooks as I'm pretty new to that side of things...