Home Asset Management

Need to import into Assets with data from various sources

Thomas_StickelThomas_Stickel Customer IT Monkey ✭
I did look at documentation and discusssions, but I'm in need of getting started with importing Vendor, Catalog Items, Hardware assets etc..    
1. I am a full-stack developer with SSIS ETL knowledge
2. There is a list of items I am being told that needs to get loaded into 4 environments  (dev,qa,uat,prod)  
3. Some of the data is tracked with Excel - thus I assume I will have to write some ETL SSIS package to map the data and insert - but I really don't want to screw this up as I don't really know all the tables to insert into.  Thoughts?  links?
4. I did install the VSTO add-in ribbon into Excel and I can connect to Service Manager Console with it , but I'm not sure if large imports are useful with that tool  , right?
5. Is there already a set and preferred way to do ETL into the Cireson ServiceManagement Database ( or do i instead into into tables of Servicemanager of Microsoft ?   
6. How do i get up to speed to learn the steps that I need in order to import all this data? 

Here is a list of items I need to import:

(i think N/A are things i don't need to import ) 

• Vendor
  • Subnet 
  • Organization
  • Cost Center 
  • Purchase Order 
  • Invoice (N/A)
  • License (N/A)
  • Lease contract (N/A)
  • Warranty Contract (N/A)
  • Support and Maintenance contract
  • Purchase
  • Software Asset (N/A)
  • Hardware Asset
  • Consumables (N/A)
Thanks in advance for helping me to find out the best practices on how to do this.

Best Answer

Answers

• Thomas_StickelThomas_Stickel Customer IT Monkey ✭
    How do i find this ?

Default workflow log path when creating connectors:
    • Specify a local or UNC path to use as the default log path when creating new connectors, this path must be valid from the Workflow Server and accessible to the Workflow Account
  • Brian_WiestBrian_Wiest Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Create it, like C:\Temp\Logging
    I created E:\Logging\AssetImport\
    Hi,  thanks  Ok  for the Vendor Import - I only have 1 column , yet it seems to want a name and an ID ,  i just chose name for both  ( data type for string on id by default in form for some reason)   
    Gettting errors in log like this   2019/05/01 12:43:25.961 - Did not find an existing Vendors matching keys "VendorID"="Lenovo"
    2019/05/01 12:43:26.208 - Error - Exception of type 'Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.InvalidSimpleObjectValueException' was thrown. (current property="VendorID", current value="Lenovo")
    Recommend to start in Test Mode
    Since you are populating the list make sure to check off Create New Items

Recommend to start in Test Mode
    Since you are populating the list make sure to check off Create New Items

Create is checked,  Update was checked , i even unchecked update    Strange .   Oh  it worked as I changed to use the  Vendor (Cireson Asset Management)   now it is working   thx